Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Barney Is So Not Vogue

Cole (age 5) has been working on his reading skills and I decided to purchase a dvd to help his progress along. Hoping to save on online postage, I searched high and low at our local Walmart for one that might be beneficial. Though they had lots of dvds, most of them didn’t seem very educational.

I finally did find a Barney one I thought would help him out. When David tried to encourage its viewing in our household later in the day, this is how it went:

David: Hey guys, here’s a really great dvd for you to watch.

Ashley: No way! I’m not watching Barney!

Jonathan: Dad, you KNOW Barney is for babies.

David: (With a silent “help me out here” look toward his older, less than helpful, offspring) Well, if you must know, Mom really bought this for Cole. I just thought you ALL could watch it together.

Jonathan: (Finally getting the nudge) That’s so cool, Dad. Come on Cole—let’s go watch it.

Cole: Try Nicholas, Dad! I’m not into big, fat purple dinosaurs.

Oh well. I tried. I guess I’ll have to find something online for the “more mature” pre-kindergartner.

21 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

we have the same response usually to the big fat purple dinosaur. who knew they were so mature? :0) cute story.

Just Mom said...

ROFL.

Guess what we're watching. :-D

Anonymous said...

After years of watching Barney with Jenna I have to say that I vote with Cole on this one!

Unknown said...

Geez, that's a rough crowd!

Alicia said...

That is hilarious! Well maybe Nicolas can begin reading early! Gotta love em :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry Beth...I'm with Cole on this one. Out with the big, fat, purple dinosaurs!!! - Kelly

Lisa H said...

I don't think my kids even know who Barney is!

So cute that Jay tried to help!

Jen said...

I am not a Barney fan at all. My kids have only one Barney video and thats only because it was a gift. Brooklyn was so hooked on the Wiggles and Cooper was just too busy to watch any movies. Good luck with the reading!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Cole - Kate doesn't really watch Barney either - thankfully. : ) We are looking forward to Branson with you guys!! We'll need to chat and make a plan...

Nicole said...

SOOOO funny! Cole sounds like a little David if you ask me!

Teresa said...

Hilarious story!

Jennifer said...

Hahaha... That is to funny.

Marlita said...

Beth, I think its much better to have Barney than The Wiggles.

michelle said...

What no Barney...the "clean up" song kept me pushing the Barney viewing however they are all too cool for it now as well...yeah and Tori is only 3. I made sure she learned the song before she could stop watching.

JaydensJourney said...

I ended up dropping the wordpress site and keeping blogger. I have some how managed to dodge the Barney bullet, but we're fully into Thomas.

Peculiar Blogs said...

Beth,
I just tried to email you but realized I don't have your address! Can you send it to me? I have a long email for you!!
Blessings,
Kahri
kahri@cox.net

Deborah Granick said...

That is so funny! I miss reading your posts :) How have you been?

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your site for about 2 years ? now. My daughter went on mission trips for two summers with Global Expeditions. I got to your site through your husbands when you were fostering the little boy. (I can't remember his name now.) Anyway, I just read your husband's blog and wanted you to know I'm praying for you! Your family, too, but mostly your name keeps coming up in my thoughts. Your husband quoted your blog which isn't this one, so I don't know anything except what I read there. Just know others are thinking of you and praying for you.

Renee

Marlita said...

Beth, I am praying for you. For strength for you, for your children and for Dave, as well as peace during this time. Love you, Marlita

Jen said...

UUUMMMM.....Beth........are you still out there? We miss you out here in bloggerville.

Anonymous said...

Beth, we are praying for you and believing with you for your healing.

If you are blogging elsewhere and want to share it, please do. I would love to know how you are doing and what specifically to pray for.

Lynda