Friday, April 11, 2008

Maybe I’m Ungrateful

Recently the athletics department at our small school held their annual raffle to raise money for our sports program. In the past we have been more than dutiful, buying up boatloads of these tickets . . . and last year I even won a few taper candles. Whoo hoo!

This year we decided not to participate since Ashley didn’t play basketball and because we couldn’t actually attend the event. But because my daughter can be OBSTINATELY PERSISTENT, David finally gave in on the final day of sales and purchased one, lone $3 raffle ticket.

Wow did our phone ring off the hook that evening! To my most arduous chagrin, David WON the grand prize!

What’s the chances? I vowed to never let my kids (or husband) ride one of these. Can someone please explain this to me?! Did the planets line up? Should we be playing lotto (even though we don't believe in gambling), are we just lucky unlucky? (Oh yeah, we don't believe in luck either).

We do believe in blessings—and receive them daily . . . I'm just personally not convinced this is a blessing. (Unless, of course, my husband would let me sell it . . . )

Any takers?

19 comments:

Just Mom said...

You may not think it's a blessing but, judging by the photo, someone does. :-D

Lisa H said...

Jay looks so CUTE on that! :)

That is so funny that you guys won a motorcycle. Ha!

Teresa said...

(I'm thinking I would push for selling the prize too) I don't think your son is going to let that prize go anywhere! :)

Lacy said...

that IS crazy! is that really a motor cycle? is dave going to ride it?

Beth said...

It's actually a mini-bike . . . and David thinks it is going to be his new mode of transportation to work. I'm working on blocking his plans. : )

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking you are in the same boat as with the frogs.

Alicia said...

A motorcycle, how fun!! (I think I am the minority opinion on this post.) I think it would be the perfect thing to have on Teen Mania's campus, because the speeds are low and the weather's nice. Just as long as no one takes it for a spin on those crazy country roads! I definitely would have drove that around campus... instead I peddled my bike around campus and hopped rides from Dave when I could!

Unknown said...

This is hilarious. First frogs and now a motorcycle? You should decide you dislike something else... like housecleaners, money, or fine dining. :)

michelle said...

I am sure Uncle Ron would love to give the kids a few tips on the new ride.

Sohailah said...

too too funny! Congratulations, Beth! What a treat! You need to have some more girls...

Jennifer said...

LOL... I never want to own one either. If I could keep Neal from riding one I would, but his brother likes bikes and took him riding a couple years ago when we were out. I say sell it! It only cost you $3. Read him Matthew 25 and say you want to make your talents multiply.

Jen said...

I'm wit Just Mom, what a lucky little boy.

Lacy said...

i can just see him riding it in a suit in the texas heat/humidity!

Anonymous said...

You guys have always been lucky. Must be in the genes : ) And I remember a lottery ticket you bought once... : )

Heidi Jo Comes said...

that is great! i know it's a scary thing, but they really can be fun.

Lisa H said...

I tagged you for a game on my blog! You get to come up with a six word memoir and post it on your blog (if you want to play).

How are things coming on the house? Sam said he stopped by the other day and it was looking really good! :)

Anonymous said...

How funny!! That's great :)

Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my site (in regards to my childhood picture). You are too kind!

Lisa H said...

Where have you gone? I thought you were back to blogging every now and again?

Come back! I miss you wit and wisdom! :)

Anonymous said...

Beth,
I stumbled accross your blog. I can't believe your kids! They are beautiful!
It is so good to see what you've been up to.
P.S. Thanks for all your kindness my internship years. Marlita Camacho(Rovenstine)