Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Rip-Off

When you walk into your living room and notice your camera is sitting on the coffee table, you smile because you realize your daughter forgot to put it back in your purse this morning. When you mentally try and recall how much actual cash you saw in your billfold yesterday, you again can’t help but grin remembering that you gave every last bit down to your last dime to your kids for the missionary offering. When you walk in your office and see your daytimer sitting open on your desk, you chuckle in disbelief because you actually meant to stick it in your handbag before leaving.

So, I guess the guy who attempted to rob me blind at the pharmacy today got away with a credit card that I canceled before he was ever able to make an attempt at using, a debit card with the same results, a few checks that if he tries to use will be returned stamped “Stop Payment.”

Since the police report has been filed and the surveillance camera got a full and clear shot of him . . . I’m thinking he might regret his decision to swipe what didn’t belong to him . . . unless of course, he just really enjoys reading through the journal of sermon notes he finds among his rather scanty bounty.

Though it did cost me a bit of inconvenience, I’d have to say it was a much more costly mistake for him. Oh, and the child who forgot to put my camera back . . . she got thanked immensely for being disobedient, irresponsible and forgetful. : ) She also got a big hug and lunch out with mom.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, pretty incredible, Beth! I'm so glad you are fine and that the guy got your sermon notes, hehe.

Ah, I guess I will look at my precious daughter's lack of organization in a whole new light. Still amazes me that she was able to keep your David organized for two years :o) I guess it's easy to be forgetful and relaxed at home. The rest of her life is organized minute by minute.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

"angels watching over us, every step we take" a little retro amy grant:0)

the best thing is realizing, and being grateful for blessings and God's handiwork even when on all outward appearances it doesn't seem like God.

what a story!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This makes me think that there are no coincidences :-) Do you think that Ashley is ready for a camera of her own now?

I returned safely Mrs. Hasz, and very much thankful for what the Lord showed me and taught me in Nepal! Can’t wait to share stories with you!!!

Love,
J-Lynn

Danielle said...

oh my gosh! I keep thinking I need to scan it all of the stuff in my wallet, just in case.

Thank God you didn't lose much!!..and hope it wasn't a favorite purse:)

Beth said...

You know Danielle, I had actually been thinking for several days, "This purse is getting so worn out—I really need to get a new one." : )

Lisa H said...

Yikes, Beth! It's great all those things weren't in your purse--that would have made it so much worse. I love the way you wrote this story!

Teresa said...

I have goose bumps. Your story is incredible and definitely shows the Lord working in your life.
Praise Him that you are okay. I hope the thief is reading the sermon notes and repenting! (it's a long shot.....but possible) :)

betsy said...

Oh Beth, my purse was stolen at a huge church picnic (go figure) two years ago and the worst part? The night before I had replenished my entire makeup bag.
The other worst part was going to the DMV to replace my license!

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! Hope you find a new bag that you love. :)

Jen said...

Thank goodness your camera wasn't in there. I always think that is one thing thats irreplacable. I mean when you have pictures stored in there that you haven't printed yet and then you loose it. I am glad you are okay and now you can go a get a new purse!!! :)

Unknown said...

I love this...your account- not the theft! How good our God is.

Sohailah said...

man oh man oh man! Sorry for the pain, but sure am glad it wasn't worse!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Just Mom said...

Woo-Hoo!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am glad those items were left at home today, it doesn't sound like he got off with much. AND I can never believe it when I see pictures of Ashley looking so old. It's been too long.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the whole family!!

Love,
Alicia

Andrea said...

That's too bad!

I guess some things really do happen for a reason!

Thankfully the survelliance camera was there! I wish you success in the police locating and punishing this creep!