Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Winning Team

Seldom do I lose to David in Scrabble. Okay, “seldom” might not actually be the correct adverb . . . but I certainly do my best to skunk him.

But last night he pulled out his secret weapon—his nine year old son, Jonathan (and sidekick, Cole).

Jonathan is quite the little squirt. He studies the Scrabble dictionary in his free time and can phonically spell correctly just about any word you throw at him.

Just when David was getting ready to pass his turn because he honestly didn’t think he had a play, Jonathan informed him that indeed he did—“t-i-d-i-n-g-s.” If you’re a Scrabble player you know all seven letters means you get an extra 50 points. As if that wasn’t bad enough, he played it on the Triple Word Score! That extra 86 points kind of did me in.

Of course, my little son makes me very proud. The only one who might be prouder would be his Aunt Debbie . . . whose day will surely one day come. I don’t think she has actually ever lost a game of Scrabble, but Jonathan is preparing for the take-down! Note to Aunt Debbie from Jonathan: Be afraid! Be very afraid!!

11 comments:

Jen said...

What a smart little cookie!!! My sister loves Scrabble. I am not so fond of it because we always argue if what she is spelling is right or not!

Beth said...

Oh Nickernoodle, one shouldn't attempt to play Scrabble without the official Scrabble Dictionary to check you opponent's words. : )

Just Mom said...

My jaw dropped as I read this post. What a smart little guy.

Anonymous said...

So we agree, we are not smarter than Ashley or Jay! Don't you dare post about Nicholas or Cole. I can't handle this.

I must say, I go to Jenna whenever I am stumped on spelling. She is a walking dictionary and always has been since she was very little. She used to correct her teachers in the classroom. I bet they just loved that.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

even if it was to help dad..that has to make you proud:0)

Anonymous said...

smarty pants! Good for him! I love scrabble, but I cheat and use the dictionary to find words. : ) BTW, what are elephant ears???

Praise and Coffee said...

Family fun and games are the best!!!
Enjoy.

Sue

Teresa said...

Cute story! I bet Jonathon and daddy were grinning from ear to ear! :)

jacki said...

lol!
i have never played that game

Shanygne said...

It's official...my kids go to the wrong school...

Unknown said...

Beth, you and David are such great parents...I love the way you play games and spend so much time doing things with your kids. I never saw a Scrabble dictionary...maybe we'll have to take that up! We love you guys so much! Thanks for coming out yesterday!