Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Thank You Long Overdue


If you remember the 80’s then you know how to walk like an Egyptian on the dance floor. Quite possibly you were unknowingly distantly linked to me in “Hands Across America” and you know all the words and motions to YMCA—and can even do them on roller skates. But unless you went to Monroe Central High then you have probably never met Mrs. Washler.

Mrs. Washler ties for first place on my list of favorite teachers along with my fifth grade Social Studies teacher, Mr. Campbell and my college literature professor, Dr. Trimmer. (It has always been kind of hard for me to narrow things down.) Mrs. Washler taught English my sophomore, junior and senior year of high school—all during the 80’s. It’s rather sad when you’re young and take for granted people who work so diligently, often with a great deal of personal sacrifice, to pour into your life. I don’t think I’ve ever thanked her.

I loved Mrs. Washler’s classes. It was there I learned the riches of great literature, how to diagram a sentence, and the depths of poetry. She taught me how to write research papers and to look for greater meaning in the pages of a book than what lies upon the surface. To this day I can vividly see her standing in front of the class with great animation explaining Mark Twain’s bent toward social reform and why “Et tu, Brute?” in Julius Caesar was so significant. It is because of her I love great literature.

It is a very real fear of mine she might actually one day find this site—I’m sure I break the rules of grammar on a regular basis. Nonetheless I am dedicating this post to you, Mrs. Washler. Thank you for the investment you made in my life. Whenever I finish a great book I remember who inspired me to pick it up in the first place. My life is so much richer because of you!

11 comments:

Shanygne said...

That's so awesome... wouldn't it be great if we appreciated people while they were IN our lives??

Have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate YOU??

Teresa said...

I have often had the same thoughts about some teachers of mine. They really were so influential in our lives. What a great tribute to your teacher, she would be so proud.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

Well, Teresa and I had the SAME teachers...so I am curious to know which she thought deserve recognition. I can think of one in particular who shaped who I am in a big way although it wasn't because of her praise and instruction.

I became an English teacher to spite her....not good, huh? She told me that I was not meant for public speaking and would never succeed in that area. I went on to enter and win as many speaking competitions I could enter. I was determined to prove her wrong. Not the right motivation I know...but it worked. I became an English teacher simply to prove that it could be done without ridiculing your students.

Wish my memories were fonder like yours Beth!

Sohailah said...

What agreat story -and you are a very fun writer, Beth.
As a teacher, all I can say is - tell her if you can find her. There is NOTHING, no mug of hershey kisses, no candle or picture frame, no monetary gift(I take that back, a Starbucks gift card is a very nice present and I did once receive a $500 cashiers check from grateful parents) like a hand written note of appreciation from a student - especially when a lot of time has passed... now I feel like I am telling you what to do, and I HATE being that person, bit seriously - one of my number one rules is that I keep NOTHING I Don't need, but I ahve kept EVERY letter, picrture and card from every student since I began teaching in 1990. I get them out, periodically - I guess that means I need them. :)

Beth said...

Thanks for the advice Sohailah. I have looked for her. She no longer teaches at my alma mater. Though I found an email address for her through google, it was no longer active.

Sohailah said...

good for you for trying. I wonder if the school would have any forwarding information? it was so long ago - not in ANY reference to yoru age, but to JOB TURN AROUND... :)

Just Mom said...

My English teacher was the one who inspired me to become a writer. I didn't become a novelist (at least not yet), but his enthusiasm for the subject inspired me to stick with my chosen field after college even when adversity struck.

He still e-mails me and my classmates. He even sent the hardbound treasury of Winnie-The-Pooh and Beatrix Potter to me as a gift for my son when he was born. I wrote him a thank you card, but I'm now thinking he deserves much more. He was a favorite among many of my classmates.

By the way, I appreciate Jane Austen's wit because of that teacher.

Teresa said...

Heidi, I was actually thinking of 2 elementary teachers, Mrs. Ellis and Mrs. Fuhrer. I have actually told Mrs. Fuhrer how she influenced my decision in becoming a teacher...she cried.

Anonymous said...

I was suprised to pull up your blog and see a picture of the book I am reading right now, Mansfield Park. Sadly, I had never heard of this book until the other day when I was searching for another Jane Austen book to read at Barnes and Noble.

Thanks for sharing about your teacher. You are such a great writer, I'm sure she would be pleased to read your site. :)

michelle said...

I've often wondered how can I inspire my children to not take for granted those "greats" that are investing in them. Sad that it is usually only when we are older do we appreciate those nuggets deposited long ago.

Being the wise woman you've penned her to be I am sure she too understands that much of her 'appreciation' is embedded in those like yourself.

shannon said...

Thanks for the great reminder.