Monday, January 29, 2007

Spirit Day


Our school colors are blue and gold—which is why Ashley and Jonathan had blue hair for Spirit Day. We are so thankful for the small school they go to. Though it is 30 minutes away, we feel like it is worth the drive. As an extra bonus, one of the teachers lives near us and does a lot of the transporting to and from. What a huge blessing she is!

In addition to the emphasis on academics, there is a strong emphasis on building Godly character. They wear uniforms (which I LOVE) and have chapel once a week.

During the recent annual speech meet, Ashley jumped WAY out of her comfort zone and landed herself a place in the district meet. She is working diligently to perfect her speech and bring home a blue ribbon next month. Somewhat to our surprize, Jonathan didn't fare as well. Jonathan is a master at memorization. He memorized every single speech in his class! When our church did a children's play, Jonathan memorized EVERY SINGLE LINE. This proved to be helpful when other kids forgot their cue. Though he had his speech down to perfection in our living room, Ashley said he shifted his weight from his left foot to his right foot over and over as he gave his speech. Jonathan was very sad to not get to represent his school at district.

I have a feeling his day will come. Jonathan just seems to be good at everything he does. (Uh, I know I'm his mom, but that isn't my gene package). Jonathan's good friend Mackenzie will be representing the second grade at district. I was talking with Mackenzie's mom a couple of days ago. She said he told Makenzie to look out next year because, "You're goin' down!" I think that's a pretty good sign his ego is recovering.

Nice job Ashley! We are so proud of you!! And Jonathan, I have no doubt you'll make it next year!

11 comments:

Sohailah said...

I am a STRONG proponent for dress code - it is AMAZING! And I was quite the dress code nazi ( I even won a gfit card, once! - hey, I have a good eye)- and kids STILL signed up for my class. We always joked around about how kids thought they were "so rebellious" becuause they rolled their shirt tails under instead of tucking them in - ooo, you're SO rebellious - we'd take that kind NY day!

michelle said...

"Ashley, Ashley, she's our man (girl) if she can't do it no one can....Go Warriors!" (insert pic of me doing the splits here).

Lisa H said...

Way to go Ashley and J! That's great. I would have expected Jonathan to ace it too. He's definitely a smooth talker! Can't wait to hear how Ashley does at district! :)

Anonymous said...

aaahhhh...that is so cool! I wish Emily had a school like that! (Not feeling like a good home schooler these days...) I know she could thrive!

Way to go Hasz'!!

Anonymous said...

Wish I could give some credit to her former babysitter, but I guess she just taught her to eat raw noodles...yuck!
Great job Ashley! I have no doubt J is right behind! Great hair, did Cole have his blue, too?

Teresa said...

Great job Ashley! Let us know how she does at the districts. Jonathon sounds like a go-getter! I love that in little boys!

Anonymous said...

SO excited for Ashley! I was amazed how much Johnathon is growing up, too, when i spent some time with him at Alumni weekend. He is so smart!

Anonymous said...

That's so great. You have GREAT kids.

jacki said...

Awesome hair!

Anonymous said...

Must be an ACE School?

Anonymous said...

GREAT hair! ..and I'm doing the splits just like Michelle Franzen is.