Thursday, January 04, 2007

Say It Again, Sam


Jonathan, David and Cole
Originally uploaded by °Beth.
Jonathan is an avid reader. In addition to all the really great books I try to put into his hands, he loves checking joke books out of the library and reading them cover to cover. He loves having a joke in his repertoire to pull out at any given moment for anyone willing to listen. David and I try really hard to listen, laugh and not just roll our eyes or tune him out. (This requires a great amount of personal discipline when your child is 8.)

Cole works very hard to be just like Jonathan. He is also working on his joke-telling delivery . . . which might explain the interaction we had a couple of nights ago.

Jonathan (age 8): Hey Dad, what flowers grow between your nose and your chin?
David: I don’t know.
Jonathan: Tulips. Tu—lips. Get it?

Cole (age 4): Hey Dad, what grows between your back and your skin?
David: I don’t know.
Cole: Flowers. Flow—ers. Get it?

10 comments:

Kim said...

I love it when kids start to try to be like their parents. It's the sweetest thing ever. My boys do it too and I am so touched to see it.

Michelle said...

haha that is hilarious...with delivery like that I think it would be hard to tune him out lol

Michelle said...

I know I was shocked myself...I made up the last few because they are things I do and are often misunderstood....you should try to make some up for yourself..its fun.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

That comment somehow got published before I previewed it. Please delete it if you can. My fingers were going faster than my good sense..oops! Thanks!

Lisa H said...

Nice one Ginger! :)

Beth, he is so cute! I don't know how you could help but laugh at those silly boys of yours!

Shanygne said...

Riot!! I understand... we have an 8 year old, too.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

My kids do the same thing! They ask us to tell them a joke and then they try it but forget the punch-line and just say any words that they know they aren't supposed to!
My two-year old is the best! Here's her favorite:

Kate: Knock-Knock
Mom: Who's there?
Kate: Butt-crack!

Then she erupts into hysterical laughter. She just likes to see my eyebrows raise!

michelle said...

Look at it this way--they have good joke genes. I am sure if you can muddle through the early years of joke telling they will be as funny as their Dad and Uncle Jon in no time.

Unknown said...

I think it is so great that your children are developing their sense of humor...such a needed quality in life! Keep it up guys!