Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Christmas Memories


Ashley
Originally uploaded by °Beth.
It was the day after Christmas and David’s parents had just called saying they were about 30 minutes out. We were celebrating a belated Christmas with all the family in Texas and they were driving from Colorado. I lit several Christmas candles to complete the Christmas ambiance.

Ashley was two. When I told her Grammy and Granddad would be here in a few minutes, she started running around the house in excitement. When she accidentally ran into the kitchen table, I went over to pick her up assuming she might have a little bruise. Instead, she had a HUGE hole in her head just above her eye! I totally freaked, screamed—lost it. Ashley couldn’t comprehend my behavior and momentarily stopped crying to watch me.

David took charge, gathered up a few things and kept saying, “Go get in the car.” Though I heard him, my brain couldn’t seem to make my legs do what he was saying. He kept repeating it louder, “Go get in the car.” Since I didn’t move, he finally forcefully “helped” me to the car while I still held Ashley in my arms. Finally I was able to say what I kept thinking but couldn’t get out earlier, “You need to blow out all the candles.” David took a last trip into the house to find all the burning candles and then left a note for his parents on the door.

The 30 minute drive to the emergency room seemed like eternity. David tried to encourage me with little tidbits like, “She’s fine. Every other kid in the world has to get stitches at some point in their lives.” The one thought reverberating in my head was, “Maybe I shouldn’t be a Project Director to Nepal next summer after all.” Oddly enough, between the two of us, I was always the one handling medical emergencies in overseas situations. Even in those crazy moments I was aware I wasn’t handling the situation well.

The full waiting area in the ER might have been a little upset they put Ashley at the front of the line, but given the fact I was still crying somewhat hysterically, maybe they didn’t mind so much. The most traumatic thing I’ve ever done is watch Ashley get tied down to a gurney and then get 13 stitches underneath the skin and then on the skin level—all while she was screaming, “Mommy” hysterically. Even the memory makes me tear up.

After it was all over, the hospital gave her a Barbie doll and a Barbie bicycle gift set (really cool), a boo-boo bunny, and a coloring book all about going to the hospital. The ER doctors and nurses were all very, very nice. We finally caught up with David’s parents for a late lunch. Thankfully, that was by far our most traumatic Christmas we’ve ever had. Oh and for the record, to this day Ashley loves showing off her scar and telling everyone the story.

7 comments:

Lisa H said...

What a sweet picture! I actually thought the stitches were her eyebrow, until I read the story.

Poor girl, but really, poor mom! That must have just been horrible for you!

Anonymous said...

Can't say I get real freaked out when the kids have been hurt. I always feel kinda guilty later for not being more sympathetic. One Thanksgiving I slammed Jenna's pinky in the bathroom door. My sister-in-law and I hit the ER with her. Thankfully it was not broken. How sad that I didn't even feel bad then...she continued to remind me that I did it "on accident". I guess I have no reason to be upset if my kids aren't real compassionate when I'm in pain. We shall see next week as I head for more foot surgery. I may just reap what I've sown.
Once again, you guys have the cutest kids ever!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like she had a better time of it at the ER than Rod did :) Also, so sad you didn't go to Nepal...I signed up for that trip because of you two - but I did end up loving Bobby and Eli and Chad and Cristine!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

I don't think that there is any worse pain as a mother than to see our babies hurting (sometimes in order to "fix" them) and not be able to take their place!

I am so happy to hear a good report at an emergency room. It very rarely seems to be a place that people leave feeling like they received top notch care and compassion! I think it is so cool that they had gifts for her!!

Danielle said...

Oh my gosh! After having to hold Isabelle down for shots and with her looking at me like I betrayed her I can't imagine your trauma!!

Anonymous said...

Alicia said she never saw that picture. We love the bow in Ashley's hair. I made so many of those little things, they were great!

Unknown said...

Oh yes...I remember the post trauma...you were all in much better shape by the time you met us at McDonalds in Lindale. She is one tough girl! Jon is always the one who was needing stitches, etc....David just did his time in hospital stays and that was so traumatic too...anytime your precious children are hurting...so are you!