Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Thirteen Years!


David and I
Originally uploaded by °Beth.
It was a Friday night. Our theme was “An Old Fashioned Christmas”. As the guests walked into the church, the path was lit by candles and Christmas music was playing. Adding to the ambiance were top hats, white gloves, tuxedos and floor length taffeta and velvet dresses in a dark Christmas green. Our flowers were all red roses. I hope no one is offended, but it was the most beautiful wedding I’ve ever been to. I can’t personally take credit for the incredible way it was pulled off so beautifully, and though tons and tons of people helped, it was really my pastor’s wife Cheryl who made our wedding so perfect.

With all the greeting at the reception, we somehow missed eating anything other than the one bite of cake we fed each other. So on the way to our hotel, we went through a Wendy’s drive-thur. Our car was decorated and we were still in our wedding attire, so they gave us our meals on the house—thanks Mr. Thomas!

We had a fun honeymoon in Florida and then headed back to Denver to our tiny but cute apartment. I remember at one of my showers a lady from our church said, “When you start out in life together you don’t usually have much money. Someday you will look back and fondly remember living on a shoestring.” She was so right. I was working for a ministry and living on support and David was teaching at a Christian school. We became pregnant with Ashley that first year and I had to stop working altogether. Money certain was tight, but God always provided. And true to her words, I do fondly remember those days.

Happy Anniversary David! I have so enjoyed these past 13 years of being married to you.

9 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

I am so jealous...! It was my dream since childhood and seeing "White Christmas" to be married on/near Christmas. The idea of using all of the traditional decorations, white lights, candles, evergreen...it just sounds too good to be true. I loved the idea of a very traditional gown, full and long sleeve and the velvet trimmed tuxedos and gowns.
I got married in August, it seemed more practical-it's a compromise I wish I hadn't made. Now I will start putting in my request with my daughters to marry at Christmas time.
Thanks for the memory! Sounds breathtaking!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

Totally sorry Beth...blogger is PMSing again and denied all comments to me and then later posted each attempt I made! If you can delete them through your end be my guest! Sorry!

Shanygne said...

Sounds magical. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

You are both very blessed and I can only wish you many more glorious years! Wait until you it 27 like us :) Life is very different, but the love is still the same...well, it does grow stronger.
Congratulations!

Sohailah said...

what a great story - thanks for sharing the memory.

Merry Christmas!

michelle said...

I love that you can look back and are still fond of your decor/attire choices. I look back in horror of those choices....I actually hide my wedding album. Still love the ceremony, reception and man though! :-)

Happy Anniversary!

Lisa H said...

Happy Anniversary! Your wedding sounds so beautiful--wish I could have been there!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. And Beth, you were such a BEAUTIFUL bride. Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.