Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Gracious!

Over the weekend we spent some time in Dallas. Every couple of years we have a caricature done of the kids. I think this guy really captured their personalities.

On the drive back to Garden Valley on Saturday we made our traditional stop at Taco Bueno. We opted for the drive through instead of going inside because of Nicholas. The Christmas shopping traffic was crazy and all the drive through lines were long. As we sat waiting for our turn at the window, a truck pulled into a side entrance right in front of us and cut the line by several cars—this did not make us (or any of the cars behind us) happy. Since she completely ignored all the loud honking directed her way, David decided to hop out and have a little chat with her. When he got to her window his tone did a 180 when he realized she had no idea she had committed such a fallacy. She apologized profusely and even volunteered to go to the end of the line. He assured her all was well and she might as well stay in the line since there was no convenient way to exit.

When our turn finally came to pick up our food at the window, the employees informed us our meal had already been paid for. The lady in the truck bought our lunch!

What a sweet and unnecessary thing to do. We took the kind gesture as a reminder during the hustle and bustle of holiday madness—take time to be kind to others and be gracious toward people who make mistakes.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good remind for all, Beth.
"Love is patient, love is kind. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs."
No so easy to keep in the front of our minds these days.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's so neat that she paid for your meal! Very cute caricature!
~Molly

Shanygne said...

That is so great!! What a good idea to capture them like that every couple years...

Anonymous said...

That poor lady! I bet she felt so bad. She was so sweet to pay for your meal too though! Wow- what a nice act of kindness!

OK, I'm afraid to say it, but this caricature scares me a little bit.

Lisa H said...

Cute picture!

I love that David would actually go up to the window and talk to the lady! I think we would have just stayed in our car and fumed!

What a blessing to get a free meal out of the deal!

michelle said...

I love the caricature...very cute!

Love the story too...one year to combat the madness and singlehandly (;-)) bring kindness to the season I decided to hand out candy canes to all the "meanies" while traveling through the airport. Boy, that was an exp.---the reactions I got.

Karenkool said...

Good ole Davey-boy! You know, that's the second "confrontational Dave" story I've read on your blog lately. He must have a bit of New Yorker somewhere deep down. Where's he from again? Hee. Yes we New Yorkers love a good confrontation. There seems to be this competition to see who can get more HOT, and I don't mean sexy! But we CAN also resolve things nicely... (although a Texan may not pick up on a conversation gone from bad to nice, because it probably still sounds, to the foreign ear, a bit harsh--hahah).

We still don't visit Taco bell these days... with all the mystery ECOLI!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope I didn't sound like a snob. I think my computer screen was distorting your caricature a bit. I enlarged it this morning on your Flickr site and can see it better. It is cute!!! Don't hate me for my previous comment:-)

Anonymous said...

This is a good lesson on confrontation too!, if Mr. Hasz had not talked to her about it, she would have never known what she'd done!

Stolmit said...

I love, love, love that picture. It is so creative and clever. I really like it.

I also enjoy a good potato burrito from Taco Bueno. Too bad we don't have them here in NYC.