Monday, November 06, 2006

Call Me . . .


Cole, Ashley and Nicholas
Originally uploaded by °Beth.
Lately I’ve been thinking about Sarah. She had a son late in life.

Though I’m not yet 91, I have noticed many young friends of ours are pregnant . . . and I’m old enough to be their mother. I don’t dwell on this, but sometimes it smacks me in the face.

When the woman behind the pharmacy counter asked if Nicholas was my grandson, I was able to laugh it off. She was older—maybe her eyesight was failing . . . just a mistake.

But then, not 20 minutes later at the new Chinese restaurant, when our young waitress asked the same thing—well frankly it had all been building up and we had Niagara Falls.

So that brings me back to Sarah. Was it ever rough going? Did stupid questions ever reduce her to tears? My suspicion is no. Baby Isaac was such a joy and gift from God, everything else around her paled. She called herself richly blessed and said the Lord had given her laughter.

Such truth. Nicholas is a precious and unexpected gift. I am so overwhemingly thankful to have him. So call me grandma; call me old . . . and call me Michelle if anyone invites you to a botox party!

But most of all, call me overflowing, richly blessed and full of laughter—for that is what I am.

9 comments:

Shanygne said...

okay, that's just dumb! I am continually amazed at the STUPIDITY of people... first of all...even if they have the thought, why would they speak it out loud?? Secondly, you certainly DO NOT look like a grandma!!! You are beautiful, even in sweats and no makeup...

People just need to learn the verse in Proverbs that says "even a fool is thought wise when he keeps his mouth shut"....

Karenkool said...

They were obviously confused!! Probably because you don't look like you just had a baby a few weeks ago, you HOT MAMA YOU!!!

What did these people think, that Nicholas was your daughter's child??? That's just ridiculous--hahhaa. I hope you had a good cry and then a good laugh! That can make things feel so much better.

OK--time to post one of those HOT MAMA pictures of yourself ;-D Put on some fancy clothes, jewelry and make-up and have Ashley do a photo shoot somewhere outside. (She'd probably even let you wear her glasses). And then show off your incredible beauty and wonderous youth right here on your blog!!!

Lisa H said...

I like Karen's idea! Let's see some pictures and embrace your beauty! :)

I don't know what kind of people you ran into that would say such a thoughtless thing, but good for you for finding yourself blessed and full of laughter!

Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Shanygne said. I could not have said it better!

Anonymous said...

It brings another sad thought to my mind...so often babies are having babies and grandmothers are filling the role of both grandmother and mother because Beth you look better after four kids than I do after none :)

Anonymous said...

I love what karen suggested! Photo shoot! Photo shoot!

I just can't believe that people could be so stupid and call you a grandma!

michelle said...

I am with all the other 'commentors'...absurd! I like the photo shoot idea too. :-)

jacki said...

people asked my mum that too, seeing as my littlest sister is 10 years younger than me. I had a bad habbit of laughing at them when I was younger and heard them ask.

Anonymous said...

Mrs Hasz, I know you've received a bit of affirmation here already, bu i think you are AMAZING!!!