Thursday, August 24, 2006

Counting My Many Blessings


Jonathan, Ashley, Cole and Nicholas
Originally uploaded by Beth.
Maybe it’s just the season I’m in . . . but I just can’t seem to stop counting my blessings. They’re piling up, so I’ll start naming them one by one.

1) Just when David and I were starting to forget what it feels like to sleep, my sister called and said her husband needs her to get her “newborn fix.” Since she just started her last child in kindergarten last week, she would like to spend the night on Friday and do ALL of our feedings!!! Let’s hear it for sisters who need fixes!

Oh, and for everyone else who commented about wanting to have another baby after reading my last post, feel free to come spend the night and get your own “newborn fix.” (Sam are you reading this?!)

Or how about you Karen . . . a plane ticket from New York to Texas is about 10% of what a hospital delivery costs these days—and that is way before adding on all the little incidentals such as diapers and the like!

2) That beautiful brown truck keeps pulling up at my front door with the most wonderful packages—having a baby is so much fun!

3) Having the entire Hasz family live nearby after having a baby is almost like having your own Chabukah.

4) My sister-in-law, Kelly, not only threw a great shower, she has now organized some of the best cooks in Texas to bring us the most wonderful meals. This of course reminds my husband on a regular basis that he didn’t actually marry me for my cooking skills.

5) Two nights ago, after eating the most incredible meal put together by our good friend, Shanygne—my husband actually made the comment that he personally would like to go to her house for cooking lessons. Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about!! I know, I should start those nationwide seminars Michelle said I’d be so good at: “How To Train Your Husband 101.”

6) My sister-in-law, Lisa, keeps coming to my door to take my little 3 year old on fun excursions like the zoo, the library and The Science Place. Cole is LOVING it, and I am starting to become a little saner. (My husband might question my generosity with the use of that word!) :)

7) When none of the little outfits I had taken to the hospital fit our little 8 lb. 7 oz. darling, my in-laws ran out and bought us a couple of bigger sizes. Now that we’re home, they keep calling and asking if there is anything they can do . . . so we keep giving them things to do!

8) And then there are simply the wonderful many moments throughout the day (and night) when I just get to look at this sweet little reminder of how much God enjoys lavishing His love and blessings on us!

13 comments:

Beth said...

My apologies to any and all who left comments earlier and I accidently destroyed them—I am so computer, techy illiterate!

Anonymous said...

Life sounds so sweet when you put it all like that. Thanks for such a beautiful post. I wish I lived closer, so I could help you though. How about taking Nicholas skiing this winter up in Colorado :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you, Beth! If I was there I would make you a delicious chicken pot pie, salad, and brownies (my new mom staple meal). The picture you posted of your kids is AWESOME.

Anonymous said...

Wow those kids are huge! Congratulations. My wife Dana is eager to start a family and have some beautiful faces, too. My mother speaks of you now and then and truly appreciates your friendship. Say hello to the husband if you get a chance.
-nate moore

Anonymous said...

Love the photo! You are so blessed and we are so happy for you. The only sad part is that we are too far away to get to hold him. I always wanted to be like my older brothers. I pray that those little guys will always love and protect that beautiful big sister of theirs!

Danielle said...

It seems we were having the opposite problems...nothing I have for Isabelle fit, since we didn't expect her to be 4 pounds, we had to run out and buy premie clothes! Luckily we had the wonderful family that came to the hospital bearing gift bags! Isn't family wonderful??

Michelle said...

This is such an awesome time! I am so happy for you..That pic of your kids is so cute. They all look so happy minus Cole..That looks like the "I wanted to hold the baby" face. haha

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmmmm, my cooking will be more like church's chicken... but i still hope you enjoy it!!!

see you tommorrow!

Karenkool said...

I am so glad you have wonderful support. That's what I remembered having when I was on my forth ;-D. I would love to come out and give you and Dave a "baby break." You want me to bring the whole family? hahaha. My kids aren't in school yet! Terry could show Dave all about cooking. hee (He is VERY GOOD)!!

Anonymous said...

Wow.... I am so glad that Kevin was sitting right next to me, so I could read that to him and he could see how truly blessed he is...
Any time Dave wants to come over, I'm ready..I can even send him my monthly menu, so he can pick which lessons he wants!
Love you guys...so glad you enjoyed the meal...Shanygne

Janelle said...

You are blessed indeed. Congrats on the new little guy from Darren and me!

Anonymous said...

Hey Beth,
You are a few times over mom, and I am a first time mom, but I don't know if you've ever heard of "Babywise". Its a book written by the ministry that puts out "Raising kids God's way" or something like that. Anyways, it is a very simple book that gets the baby on a simple but regular eating/playing/sleeping schedule that helps them begin sleeping through the night as early as 7-8 weeks. It also helps them get the proper rest and nutrition they need to help in making them content and enjoyable babies. Ididn't start out with this route, but after four weeks, I was desperate and still clueless, and read the book, and my cranky, wouldn't-sleep-longer-than-two-hours baby became peaceful, content, happy, and began sleeping up to five and six hours straight off the bat. Anyways, I know you've had three already, and probably already have a system, but just incase you've never heard of it, or your system could always improve, the book "on becoming babywise" is my suggestion. Congrats on your sweet new little one, and I hope he is as much of a blessing as your others.

Jenilee Samuel (Lott)
HA alumni '02 and '03

Anonymous said...

Beth, you really are so blessed! I'm glad that you are able to enjoy this time in your life. Waiting for your body to heal, getting next to no sleep, learning all about your new little one, while still caring for your three older children...it can be overwhelming, I'm sure. And you cheerfully count your blessings! Very commendable! :)