Monday, August 21, 2006

The Perfect Day


Nicholas
Originally uploaded by Beth.
There are not words . . . but I’ll try.

Tuesday was the most perfect day. David and I arrived at the hospital quite early—everything worked like clockwork. With very little pain (epidurals are the best!) and no complications, Nicholas arrived into the world at 1:10 in the afternoon—perfect in every way.

It was an amazing day filled with a steady stream of visitors from about 20 minutes after the birth until 10:00pm just as visiting hours were ending.

The hospital was great, my nurse was the best, and honestly, I wouldn’t change anything. I don’t know why such blessings just rain on us—they feel so undeserved; they make us feel so loved.

Late into the night while David and Nicholas slept, I gazed at this tiny little miracle—so peaceful, so perfect; unasked for, undeserved . . . and wondered at the goodness of God. It’s almost like for a brief moment in time there never was a fall, the world is not in turmoil, and evil doesn’t exist.

Somewhere in my ethereal moment I heard the words singing ever so softly, “ . . . oh what a foretaste of glory divine.” Someday we will live in a place wondrously free from the sin that engulfs and be surrounded by the glory of God. Somehow this little guy brought all of that into much clearer focus.

I’m not always so philosophical and meditative . . . how can you be in this rush, rush world? But when something so overwhelming good takes you by surprise and turns the world as you know it completely right side up . . . it makes you take pause. Suddenly you want to figure out ways to be way more loving toward everyone, let go of all the things you get hung up on that really don’t matter, and live your life in such a way that God is honored in all you do.

In this household we are enjoying these moments with the latest little guy who just arrived from heaven.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Nicholas is precious. I got all teary-eyed reading what you wrote about a foretaste of heaven...

Anonymous said...

Aww...yay!

Congrats! He's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

SO Precious! I'm really glad everything went SO well!
I love you guys and can't wait to meet him!
Lacy

Anonymous said...

Oh Beth, he's just beautiful! He looks just like his brothers. I can't wait to meet him!

Anonymous said...

What a beatutiful, beautiful post Beth. And Nicholas is just perfect. He is adorable. Looks just like Cole! We are so happy for you all and sending our love your way.

Karenkool said...

Hooray hooray! Sweet sweet Nicholas. Thanks for posting your wonderful news. Your writing made me think I should have another baby (hahaha but not really--not a seventh).

Can we now see pictures of you? Maybe some mommy/baby pictures? or mommy/daddy/baby pictures? or mommy/daddy/baby/sis... you get the picture... lots of love.

Lisa H said...

You put such feeling into your posts, Beth...I wanted to cry. And boy, did it make me want to have another baby! :) Congratulations, and we so happy for you and your family. I'm glad that Tuesday was such a wonderful day for you!

Unknown said...

That is beautiful, Beth. What a blessing you and your children are to all of us. We love you.

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh he is absolutely perfect! you have such a good way with words.Congratulations Beth, on such a beautiful baby boy and such a good delivery.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful baby, beautiful name! I think this is what God intended! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, he is absolutely beautiful as was your post. You are such a Godly inspiration!

Love from across the oceans!!!
Michelle F

P.S.- Love his name as well!

Anonymous said...

He is absolutely adorable (I jumped over here after reading your post on Michelle's blog, about your stiches...ouch!) I'm pregnant, too, but not due until April! ;)
~Kellee

Danielle said...

Congrats! I relived our delivery two weeks ago when I read about yours. It is such a life changing experience. Everytime I look at our new little one I feel that amazing sense of wonder at what God has created and entrusted us with. Be blessed!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your comments! How do you have time to do anything? I'm so glad that we can keep in touch!!

Anonymous said...

You have such a beautiful baby, I am so glad that the birth went as well as it did. I am an alumni ( jan '04) My husband and I read your blog together somtimes. You family is so beautiful, your kids seem to have such personality! Your posts are really beautiful. :) I am going to be having a baby in October, I am planning on having an epidural aswell, is there any advice that you would give? Well, have a beautiful day today enjoy your time with your new little one. :)

Blessings,

Deborah

Anonymous said...

Why did you not blog today, I was hoping we would get a chance to catch up via your blog site. I am sad....

Anonymous said...

Wow, Thank you so much for the advice! I never thought about gifts for hospitol staff, what kind of things did you get them? Also, I have heard lots of different things about the importance of when you put in the epidural. Like I was told that if it goes in too soon you wont be able to push...somone said that you should wait till you are 4 cm. What do you think? I have heard different things from different people. Were all of your deliveries with an epidural? Thank you so much for you advice! I really appreciate it! Have a blessed day!

Deborah

Anonymous said...

What is the deal with no new blogs - when can we expect our next update? Please blog soon, we are all so eager to follow the progress of the litte "cody"

Anonymous said...

He's soooooooo perfect!

jacki said...

Congrats!
He looks so cute