Monday, July 24, 2006

Shopping Grump

Maybe when you are nine months pregnant you shouldn’t go shopping. A couple of days ago I purchased a sweet little bassinet from Target. I tried to buy some bassinet sheets for it, but Target was completely out of standard bassinet sheets. I went to three different Walmarts. Evidently they too had a run on bassinet sheets. I finally had to purchase a couple at an overpriced baby store. But alas, when I got home I realized the bed required a special-sized sheet and the bassinet sheets were too small.

Over the week-end I went back to the Target where I had purchased the bed and tried to buy sheets to fit it. They don’t actually carry these sheets and I was told by an employee they no longer make them.

As a mom I knew the woman didn’t have a clue. There is no way one of the best baby companies in the world would sell a brand new bassinet (both new on the shelves and new to the market) and not make sheets to fit it.

I got online and of course I was right! The sheets are $6.99 with an additional $4.99 for shipping. One would think I would just pony up for the extra $4.99 and call it done . . . but where is the justice in that?! Instead I wrote a terse, testy letter to the manager of Target. I couldn’t find a higher up online to cc, so I’ll probably not hear back. It just seems like rather shoddy business practices to carry the bed but not to carry sheets that fit it (Not to mention hiring employees that would give me such erroneous information).

I know, there are Israeli troops on the border of Lebanon, Iran is working frantically to make nukes, and North Korea is well, being North Korea. Little irritations like mine pale in comparison. So, like I stated in my premise . . . maybe you shouldn’t go shopping when you’re nine months pregnant!

9 comments:

Michelle said...

I love to shop at Target, but I CAN'T STAND returning things there. They make it impossible. If you don't have a receipt they make you exchange it for something from the SAME department. It's crazy. Good for you! I'm glad you wrote the letter!

Lisa H said...

Hey Beth,
I can totally relate to your Target bassinet story. I have a similar Target bassinet story from when I was 9 months pregnant with Henry! I'll have to share it with you sometime. Sam will laugh when I tell him yours!

Anonymous said...

I am with you Beth! Right now I keep wanting to shopping for milk and bread at gas station convenient stores because the grocery store seems overwhelming!

Michelle said...

well if its any consolation, its a really cute bassinet :)

wow you are due anytime now! Did you guys ever decide on a name??

Anonymous said...

In the good old days of my baby cradle sheet needs I was able to just use large pillow cases. See what happens when all these snazzy new fangled things come out on the market :) I'm sure little "Homer" Hasz will be happy just staying asleep right in your arms. Wish I could be there to hold him for you!

Anonymous said...

Very funny. I'd never heard of anyone writing letters of complaint until I married into the Hasz family. Now it's a weekly occurance...sorry this week was you!

Unknown said...

Oh Beth...what a sad story...and so frustrating! Did you ASK for the store manager when you were in Target? Down with Target! Hey! I think this is a job for David!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»