Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Danger Of Ipods

The other day David and I were sitting in our mini-van eating a fast lunch before going to an appointment. It just so happened we were parked right in front of an old pay telephone. We both kind of chuckled because you rarely see them anymore. We doubted whether it was ever used.

Ironically, while we sat there, an interesting looking guy walked up to the phone to make a call. We were so amazed! As evidenced by the state of his hands and clothes, he was clearly someone who worked very hard.

I need to insert in this juncture of my story a certain fact: David and I have often commented on the absurdity of how loud the horn is on our mini-van. You almost hate to use it. It is a huge blaring irritating sound . . . if used, people tend to respond by making horrible faces at you. I can sense you are getting some idea of what is coming.

As we sat there watching this man ferociously smoke his cigarette while simultaneously make his call (I know, we seriously lack for entertainment), David leaned down to pick up his ipod while inadvertently leaning his elbow on our ridiculously loud horn. If one thought the poor man making a phone call was somehow entertaining before, imagine how engrossing his response was now.

He jumped about four feet off the ground, turned around to look at us like he wanted to tear someone apart, and then gave us a questioning, confused gesture.

We were so embarrassed. While trying to hide our uncontrollable laughter, we both frantically made motions trying to indicate it was an accident—and that we were complete idiots.

Appeased, he too grinned at the incident and focused his attention back on his call. Though we love to listen to ever classic eighties tunes, commercial-free Rush, and downloadable sermons on an ipod, one must only do so with caution. Obviously, they can be quite dangerous.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

That is hilarious!!

Michelle said...

What a FUNNY story.

Anonymous said...

What a hoot! Now you know why I stick with the CD player. You guys are just too cool knowing how to use an ipod. Must say I'm jealous. I guess it's time for another Jenna lesson.

Unknown said...

I love it. I would have loved to have been in the back seat observing all that!

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»