Thursday, May 25, 2006

Puppy Dog Eyes


Cole and Butterscotch
Originally uploaded by Beth.
They say over time owners and their pets start to look alike. Could be. Cole used this particular face the other night when I told him he couldn’t have a cookie.

I’m used to that sweet, sad face with puppy dog eyes . . . he can pull it out of no where if occasion calls for it. I held my ground. Then in a very slow, drawn out Cole kind of way, with his sad face primed, he asked, “Mom, don’t you like me anymore?”

The combination was more than I could take. I swept him up, smothered him in kisses, and assured him that indeed I liked him very much.

It’s in moments like this when all the parenting advice in the world drops from your brain. In case any parenting gurus have found my site, I just want to say for the record, I did not give him one cookie . . . I gave him three!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Word, do they come any cuter? Could you please put that little child in my daughter's suitcase and ship him off to Michigan? I'm sorry, I too would have given in and handed out the goodies :)

Michelle said...

toooooo cute :-)

Shanygne said...

hahahaha! Couldn't help but laugh out loud!

He really does have one of the most puppy-dog sad faces I ahve ever seen...

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest story! Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I've seen all of your kids "puppy dog eyes" looks and Cole's is definitely the best!

Anonymous said...

I can't resist any of your children's "puppy dog eyes"!!