Wednesday, May 17, 2006

My Fearless Hero


Future veterinarian?
Originally uploaded by Beth.
I wish Jonathan hated critters. Instead he delights in catching lizards, bugs, and basic beasts of every kind. His love for animals is why he was dressed like this on Career Day at school. He plans on someday being a veterinarian.

The night before Ashley’s last birthday, David was out of town and I was working late into the night redoing her bedroom as a surprise. It was about 1:30am when I noticed his presence . . . a very grotesque looking frog sitting ever so at home in my kids' bathroom. It wasn’t exactly a bloodcurdling scream that left my mouth--but something close to it.

My mind raced at what to do. I decided to awake my fearless son. He sat up in bed rubbing his eyes trying to figure out what in the world I wanted. He groaned something about being too tired and flopped back on his bed half asleep. Now I was getting desperate.

“I’ll give you three dollars,” I quipped. Jonathan opened his eyes again and tried to sit up. I took my cue and said, “Make it five.” I handed him a shoebox as he made his way toward the bathroom. Scrunching down near the frog to pick him up, he took one more look at me and said, “Seven Mom.” “Okay, seven,” I replied.

I don’t think Jonathan knew he had me over a barrel . . . he simply did the math and knew he need $2 more to buy the underwater camera he’d had his eye on. As he was walking down the stairs to put the frog outside, I smiled and let out a sigh of relief. My little animal lover, afraid of nothing son, was my hero. Besides . . . I would have paid him $25.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I love this story, Beth. Thanks for sharing it!

Shanygne said...

SO great! I am so glad that Dave gave your blog address! Now maybe we can talk more!

Shanygne

Anonymous said...

I'm a future intern and I'm glad you're posting now too... The stories we read will no longer be one-sided... Oh btw I agree with you about the baby name... :o)