Thursday, May 18, 2006

Deep Deep Down You Really Like Me


Figuring it Out in the Fourth Grade
Originally uploaded by Beth.
Ashley just hit a milestone: She went from braces to a retainer. Everyday we’re amazed and a little fearful of how much she is starting to look like a miniature teenager. Sometimes you just want to stop the clock and keep them little. Maybe it’s bad, but David and I kind of delight in the fact she still thinks boys are disgusting. We are starting to realize all of this is about to change.

The fourth grade can be rather rough. Interaction with her male counterparts at school has led to more than one parent/teacher conference, notes from school, and phone calls to other parents. Because she can dish it out pretty good to her younger brothers, I assumed she was the initiator of the conflicts. I have since learned from her teacher this was not the case.

After coming home in tears several days in a row because of mean comments from some of the boys, I told her to respond nicely and they would stop. What do I know? Nothing changed.

David decided it was time for him to step in. Ashley hasn’t yet taken Psych 101, and has probably never heard about reverse psychology, but she put her dad’s advice to the test: “My Dad says you are only saying that because deep, deep down you really like me,” became her new M.O. As you might guess, it had that needed punch. Suddenly her foes were silenced and they couldn’t figure out how to keep bugging her without that line being the comeback. Truth is a powerful thing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kids are adorable!! You guys do good work! :) My husband was an intern in 2002, he still talks to Dave every couple of weeks. It is awesome to see what you have to say and how you guys live a "normal" every day life. Be blessed!!
*Jess*

Michelle said...

I just want to make sure we are still planning on the arranged marriage between Bo and Ashley.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you remember me, when I was an intern ('01,'02)I babysat for you and Dave a few times. I haven't seen pictures of your kids in awhile...they are sooo adorable. You have a wonderful family. God bless you!

Shanygne said...

I haven't seen Ash since her haircut! What a beauty she is becoming...I can see why those boys are after her...

Hope to see you this weekend at he Celebration Retreat!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, the kids have grown up.. wow! It seems like just yesterday Ashley was 5 and Jonathan was a baby..

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I have to agree with Michelle on that one! I want to see an Arnold/Hasz union :)