Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Inevitable

When did this happen?

Yesterday Ashley and I stopped in at Brookshires to grab a few groceries. Brookshires is refreshing. Not only do they play Christian music while you shop, they train their employees to smile, make eye contact and greet you as you walk through their doors.

I think it was the first time in 14 years that didn’t happen.

The young teenage greeter who would have normally done this could not seem to take his eyes off of the daughter potential prom date at my side—his smile and greeting were for her alone.

I’ve been dragging Ashley to Brookshires with me for years . . . I still kind of think of her as the six year old I’m trying to keep from opening a candy bar in the check out line so I’ll have to buy it. She did that once.

Oh nuts!

I knew this day would one day come.

8 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

i have no doubt that you've trained her well! she is beautiful.

Danielle said...

I have to tell you that my first trip to Brookshires, I was greeted in the fashion you so adequately described. I stopped and looked behind me SURE that the greeter had seen a long lost family member enter the store behind me.

Instead of finding it endearing, I really just had to get used to it. I'm from the North and folks up here just don't talk to strangers!! ha!

michelle said...

I miss Brookshires...great healthfood aisle too. :)

I can see why his focus was deterred. Too cute!

Anonymous said...

Alicia loved Brookshires!

Oh Beth, I remember the days of walking through the mall with my girls and having heads turn and stare. Our babies grow up. Jenna used to get so mad at guys for checking her out. I had to remind her that she was beautiful and guys notice. She'd roll her eyes, lol

Trusting in due time you will be blessed with the perfect guy for your little girl. If he's anything like "our" guys you will be blessed beyond words! Beto and Alfred are the best!!!

Love your new look.

Shanygne said...

how does this stuff sneak up on us? I look to my left sometimes and realize my time with Emily is short!

Ashley is beautiful...

heidi said...

oh my!! ...put a bag over her head till she is 18+!!!... just kidding... hard to believe she is becoming a little woman! good thing the rest are boys...:) i guess

Sohailah said...

WOW! She is absolutely lovely!

Evita Gahagan said...

ha ha - ::sigh:: Brookshires...miss it.

RE Ashely: oh my goodness, oh my goodness...oh my goodness. She's GORGEOUS. That spunky little funny fireball 4-5year old is now a BEAUTIFUL young lady. Fight 'em off, Ashley! ;-) (my heart drops at the thought of experiencing the same thing with my girls.) Such a beauty!