Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Won't You Join Me?

Lately I’ve been hanging out on websites that make me sad—the persecuted church around the world is overwhelmingly large; the children of the world so needy, abused, exploited and alone.

Possibly the saddest picture floating in my head this week is this one. Oh what I wouldn't give to be her mom and treat her like the princess she was born to be. Today as I sorted mounds of laundry I prayed for her. Though I’ve never met her personally and don’t even know her name, I just can’t forget those sad little eyes trapped in a prison she only knows as her life.

I also prayed for the pastor I read about earlier this morning. As I jumped from one site to another following an email I had received, I couldn’t help the tears that flowed for these fellow believers in the hands of tyranny. In-between applying Spray and Wash and loading darks, God gave me an idea. I’ve decided to dedicate my “laundry time” to lifting up children in need and those suffering around the world for the sake of Christ.

Inside these walls of my more than comfortable home, God has inspired me with a way to touch the lives of children who are orphaned, abused or exploited and Christians suffering in horrendous prison cells enduring hunger, torture, and separation from loved ones. With a mounted bulletin board just in front of my washing machine, I’ve placed pictures and articles of people I want to be praying for. Knowing most of my readers are moms like me, doing loads of laundry every week, I wonder if you might like to join me in your own laundry rooms. Somehow it’s like redeeming the time for a cause far bigger than making sure our kids have clean clothes to wear.

Here are some links to help us get started:
Orphans First
Open Doors
Compass Direct News

Please leave a comment if you’re joining—I’d like to add tiny profile pictures of you along the top border of my bulletin board reminding me I’m not alone in this small endeavor.

Though most of us can’t physically do anything to help these ones in need, we can lift them up to the One who can.

17 comments:

JaydensJourney said...

Beth, I'll definitely join you in the laundry room prayer club (although mine has spilled into the dining room). This has been a year of reading and crying out to the Lord for all those children around the world who are orphaned and impoverished. What a wonderful idea!

Lisa H said...

As one who seems to spend an enormous amount of time in the laundry room....I will join you. I can't think of a better way to spend that time! Great idea, Beth.

Jen said...

Count me in! We never know how well we have it until we see how bad off others are!!! Partnering with you.

Anonymous said...

Last night I heard Christine Caine from Hillsong church in Australia speak. She did a 60 second video with the staggering statistics of the explotation of women and children every day, Europe being a prime place. My heart thought of your post and how we need to pray. My laundry tends to spread from my little laundry room, to my kitchen, to my livingroom. I guess this means that I will be joining you in prayer each and every day as I spend time washing and folding.

Thank you for bringing the word of the Holy Spirit to the rest of us to join in your vision of hope.

By the way, I look at your face on my frig everyday :) You are covered in prayer.

Laura said...

I just came out of the laundry room....I will commit to spending the time sorting, spraying and folding to praying for these children. Thank you for stopping by....I have been wanting to blog for so long. So many other things clamoring for attention....I know you know! I love your heart Beth...thanks for encouraging us to look past the piles and press into the father heart of God!

michelle said...

Such a great post! Hits home here!
I will join in although I am embarrassed to admit I don't do much laundry. My African lifestyle offers me a helper but I will say when I see her I am reminded to pray--boy the life she leads, it is a hard one---so I guess I will be reminded to pray when the laundry is being done. :-)

Shanygne said...

I would love to join you... I think I will need to post something to remind me... too afraid I will forget.

THanks, Beth, for always inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Beth, I graduated from the HA in Aug. 04' - I read your husbands xanga and was directed to your site through his.

I will definitely be joining you in prayer - randomly enough thats what I was taking a break from doing, laundry, when I stopped to read blogs.

Thanks to bringing this to my attention and reminding all of us of how blessed we truly are.

Teresa said...

I'm in! My family prays for our precious Ruby everyday. I have a very tender heart for children that need love, protection, shelter, a family....etc.

My laundry time will be spent in prayer for the many children who need to be surrounded by His touch.

What an awesome idea Beth. Thanks for letting us join you.

Anonymous said...

Very practical idea! I will take my Sunday afternoon laundry day to join you too! I agree with Shanygne, thanks for inspiring!

Unknown said...

Beth...you are so great. I would love to join you. I don't spend so much time in the laundry room any more...YES...that time really does comem!! But when I do...I will join the effort of crying out to God for the children. The chapel today at Teen Mania- Bill Wilson- he had incredible stories and pictures of children of the world. This just fits in so well to that message...having a shepherd's heart for hurting children.

js said...

Hi Beth. I'm a good friend on Nicole Graves and found your blog from her site. Totally God- I never just visit other people's blog who I don't know, but I clicked on yours this morning and I am going to join you in prayer for these precious little lives. I love the idea. I have mountains of laundry and will now look forward to my time in front of those lovely machines.

Alicia said...

Wow I can't believe that video! How absurd and sad that they even think of that.

I don't do any laundry (isn't that pathetic?) I must say, I have the BEST mother in the world. She has done my laundry since I moved home. I am officially spoiled. Five more months and it's back to the laundry room for me, only this time for two!

I have a photo up at my desk to remind me to pray and remember.

Andrea said...

Hi Mrs. Hasz!

I do tons of laundry - I'm with you!

Just wanted to let you know that you have inspired me since 2002 to pray for the world. Thank you for the impact you make for the kingdom!

Warm Regards - Andrea Hartstein

Glenn Hervieux said...

Beth, I finally took the time to watch the video. As sad as that is, I'm hoping that's the only abuse that young girl has to live with. Sexual exploitation/slavery, child labor, the kidnapping of children to fight as soldiers, hunger, etc. are far too common around the world. It's heartbreaking as we look at our own children to know the suffering of other children day after day. I'm with you in praying for the helpless, the orphan, the widow...the heart of God goes out to them.

Unknown said...

Hi Beth, thanks for your comment and your prayers. We so appreciate the support we're feeling from everyone. It means a lot to me personally to have my TM family too a part of this journey of faith. Thanks so much.

Sohailah said...

thanks for the links and the important reminder. Life is certainly tragic in other places.

i will pray