Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Just One Of Those Days

I scheduled his appointment for after school—bad decision. When myself with all four kids in tow entered our orthodontist’s small waiting room to have Jonathan’s spacer put back in place, I knew something wasn’t quite right. Usually it is empty, but on this particular day there were eleven people waiting. We took the last seats available and settled down for what we knew would be a lengthy wait—not to be disappointed, it was an hour and a half.

Nicholas was NOT in the mood to wait . . . neither was I. But, like the good Mom I am, I tried to occupy my small, squirmy son with the little toys I stuffed in his diaper bag. He wasn’t interested.

After noticing there were nearly a dozen dead grasshoppers on the floor of what is usually an immaculate office, I felt compelled to contain my child who refuses under any circumstances to be contained. Unfortunately for me, it was obvious the mood of the room was rather tense and our orthodontist's impatient patients were less than thrilled with my overly energetic brood.

Like all good moms, I can force my three older kids into a somewhat angelic composure with a certain look I have . . . but Nicholas—after the first 30 minutes I was at my wits end as to what to do with him. Why was everybody staring at me like I had brought a hyena into the room instead of happy, bubbling baby?! Most of the parents in the room were there with their teenagers—long past the baby stage. Since I wasn’t receiving any empathic looks, I guess they didn’t remember how is was when their teenagers were one.

After a few minutes with the orthodontist, Jonathan’s spacer was put back in place and we were finally able to leave. Unfortunately, the spacer once again came out that evening . . . so, of course, it is back to the orthodontist.

So I’ve been wondering . . . is it just me? Since it’s so much more fun to laugh than fume, has anyone else had a bad day lately? Pleeeease share.

12 comments:

michelle said...

Shame I feel for you...so hard with the little ones and 5 year old boys. :-)

I just got a team lost in a game park on a self drive with guess who as the driver? So maybe that is more of a blond moment opposed to a bad day... of course we should probably ask the team. hee!

Jen said...

We were in Target a couple of weeks ago and Cooper was way past the point of being good. Instead he turned into my wild child, crying and throwing an all out temper tantrum. I don't tolerate those. So Craig took him to the bathroom to stand in the corner. Yes, just stand. We have tried other forms of discipline (spare the rod and spoil the child) but the corner works the best. HE HATES IT!!! You would have thought Craig was beating him because I could hear him all the way out by the checkouts. To top it off, our assistant pastor was in the store and saw the WHOLE thing. Luckily she is a wonderful woman and understood even though her girls are both in college. How rude they were staring at you. Do I need to come down there and knock some heads together for you?! :)

Beth said...

That's such a sweet, generous offer Nickernoodle. I'll try to manage though. : )

Heidi Jo Comes said...

no idea what you are talking about...it's all sunshine and rainbows around here:-)

Anonymous said...

*raises hand* On saturday we got a ton of rain. Needless to say, both mine and my husbands cars got flooded and are out of commission. They may total my car and we are wondering about my hubby's car. Thank goodness our insurance covers 80 percent of a rental car. but that leaves one car for two people that work two very different schedules and I will be starting school soon. Ugh

Anonymous said...

I'm with heidi jo -- NOTHING like that EVER happens to me : )

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comment! I'm new to blogspot. I use to have a myspace, but those days are over... blogspot for me! I know... it has been a long time. I live in Grand Prairie and work at Southlake. Just moved to the DFW area 3 months ago. I go to Gateway church and am loving getting plugged in! I ran into an intern from my class tonight :) So fun. well, Nicole has told me about your blogs for a while. I figured I needed to subscribe and join in the fun! I love hearing about everything you go through as a mom. I'm storing it all up for those days in the future. I don't usually have bad days. I have bad months... :) bless you Beth!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is this office should be ashamed for making you wait that long. I'm so thankful that our othro was so great. We never waited which was awesome for school schedules and such.

Being the older person in the waiting room without little ones, I never mind kids, even where I work, unless their mother has tuned them out. I think I know better in your case :) Sorry you had a rough time.

Shanygne said...

Tax-free weekend. Macy's. 1st time out alone with three kids. Katie ONLY wants to be held. Does not like her stroller, car seat, swing, or bouncy seat. Screaming ensued, mom held her while shopping...AFTER receiving numerous "would you shut that kid up" looks from fellow shoppers. Fun fun fun... feel your pain.

Unknown said...

Okay...I just caught up on your last 5 or 6...I can't wait to get high speed...maybe then I can blog again and not have to sit and wait HOURS for pix to upload! You are such a great blogger!

Susan said...

Thank you for your nice comment on my blog, Beth. I know what you mean about adding another name. I've found I add a few new ones and then I also find I delete some after awhile that don't really connect with me. One reason I don't publish my blogroll!!

Are you Ginger's friend that first got her into blogging? For some reason I think you are. If I'm wrong please correct me!!! If you are thanks a million...because she has been such a blessing to me!!

Trust we can get to know each other :o)
Susan

Teresa said...

Just yesterday I took all 3 kids to Walmart for a few last minute school items and ended up locking the keys in the car with my purse, which holds the extra set. Just a month ago I convinced Robb that On*Star wasn't something we needed and we canceled it. OOPS!
What would have been a quick, uneventful trip to Walmart, turned out to be a huge time consuming headache, let alone the nice fee for unlocking my vehicle! Ugh!
I feel your pain Beth....I have been in that situation more than once. On the rare occasion that I don't have my kids with me I always smile and offer to help moms in situations like this. People really need to lighten up!