Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Goodbye Summer

It's that time of year again . . . yesterday the kids headed back to school.

Ashley is in the 6th grade, Jonathan in 3rd and Cole is in K-4. Hello early mornings, overstuffed backpacks, sack lunches and homework.

Contrary to what is looks like in the picture, Ashley is not so happy about going back to school. Jonathan is overjoyed and Cole is nearly beside himself with excitement. Yesterday I peeked in on Cole just before their lunch break. His eyes were big, his face solemn and I could tell he was trying hard to take in every word his teacher was saying.

It is so hard to make the transition from being the center of his world to letting him start down the road of eighteen years of education. Though I'd rather have him here with me, I know we are making the right decision. His teacher is incredible and he will be reading by Christmas. We have never regretted putting Jonathan in this program. It provided him with an excellent foundation to build on.

Those are the kinds of things I keep telling myself . . . and now that it's in writing I can keep reading it over and over again. I guess part of me hopes I'll get a phone call asking me to come and get him—that he's just not ready; give him another year. I must admit, when another little boy cried and cried yesterday and wouldn't let his mom leave, I was a little envious.

But, this morning Cole assured me that indeed he DID want to go back to school today. So now the house is strangely quiet and it's just Nicholas and I holding down the fort. Can you imagine the basketcase I'll be three years from now when it's Nicholas' turn? Let's not even think about that!

9 comments:

Lisa H said...

What a great picture! They all look so happy to be going to school--even Ashley! :) I'll bet your house feels pretty quiet right about now!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

oh my goodness, i'm weepy for you. i am excited for my kids, because i know that they will enjoy the routine and friendships...but i will so miss them.

Anonymous said...

I'm so ready for my kids to be in school. SO READY. : )

Anonymous said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE Cole is going to school...it seems like he was just born when i was with you guys. I remember when Johnathon went to school for the first time, too, and David said you were crying all day.
I can't imagine what that's like as a mother...no fun!
Lacy

Teresa said...

We still have 1 week left here before school starts. I send 2 off this year and am not looking forward to it at all! I love having them close by and tend to do a lot of worrying when they aren't here.
I am looking forward to the one-on-one time I will get with Gage, just as I'm sure you are enjoying with Nicholas.
I really envy the dress code that your school has!

Alicia said...

I cannot believe little Cole is old enough for school either! I remembered when he cried because he wanted to go but he wasn't big enough yet! Wow, I bet he is one excited little guy :-) The kids look adorable, and make me miss Texas a lot!!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking your former babysitters are feeling as sad as you are that your little Cole is growing up.

Great picture of the kids!

jacki said...

back to school is craziness. I get to do all my going back to college stuff tomorrow

Anonymous said...

They look SO big! And I am really jealous that your kids are already back in school! It is time for summer to be OVER!