Thursday, August 16, 2007

An Era Has Come To An End

Ashley recently donated all of her dolls and doll paraphernalia to Grammy’s playroom for her younger cousins to enjoy. For me it’s like a sweet era filled with imaginary tea parties, being a pretend mommy and making an attempt to be just like me, has come to an end. In just one short year she will be a teenager!

Where have the years gone? I miss pigtails and big ribbons, frilly dresses and patent leather shoes—Ashley’s WAY to cool for cute. Though occasionally Ashley will play Candyland with Cole if he begs, she has definitely moved on to bigger things like her mp3 player, her ifish, webkinz, and dare I say boys? Maybe I’m in denial, but David says she has definitely discovered their existence . . . yikes!



For me the handing down of those once beloved dolls was a sad moment in time. But in the midst of their departure, Ashley got a sudden look of nostalgia in her eyes and pulled her favorite doll, Abigail out of the mix. That sweet, spontaneous act did my heart a world of good. Sure she’s getting bigger, but she will ALWAYS be my little girl at heart.

So goodbye little dolls . . . hello all things tween!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a sad thing. I have to say that I loved the teenage years. At our house they were very good years and filled with new adventures.

It's what came next that was more difficult. Ever heard of Teen Mania and a place called Texas? :)

Just Mom said...

I got that way packing up Alex's baby bottles a couple of years back. An end of an era, indeed.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm now a little concerned about my emotional stability because this post made me cry! Maybe it's because Jordan is a the stage where she loves dolls and Ally goes EVERYWHERE with her....and I absolutely love this stage. Guess I'm a little nostolgic with you. - Kelly

Anonymous said...

That first picture of Ashley is how I remember her. She's not allowed to grow up! : ) Matt helped Ron and Katie move Hannah into the dorms the other day. THAT was freaky. Our kids are going to be pushing us in our wheelchairs before long!

Jen said...

Brooklyn is only 7 but already has discovered Webkinz. She loves it! I too love the doll stage and Barbies. They were always my favorite. At least there is still that little bit of little girl in her by pulling out her favorite doll. Hey, I still have my Cabbage Patch Kids!!