Thursday, June 21, 2007

There’s No Place Like Home


Having lived on the east coast, west coast, Colorado and Washington State (the most un-churched state in the Union), and lots of other states somewhere in the middle, I am still, after 11 years of being a Texan, occasionally shocked by the culture. Like for instance the other day. I called a local hardware store to inquire about renting a stump grinder. They put me on hold and the on-hold music began, “Celebrate Jesus, celebrate . . .”

It reminded me of when we first moved here. I was in Victoria’s Secret buying perfume. (Really, I was buying perfume.) A saleslady approached me and smothered my hand in one of their fragrant lotions and then informed me I should try their new line of hosiery . . . perfect for wearing to church. (I’m not kidding—that is what she said.)

Though I avoid our local grocery store because the prices are way higher than Walmart, I do occasionally enjoy stopping in just hear the music as I grab a loaf of bread or gallon of milk, “Jesus is the answer for the world today . . .”

And then the best one of all. A few days ago I decided to open a new bank account. The banker made a little small talk while his fingers flew on his keyboard detailing my personal information. In between my home address and phone number, he asked what church I attend.

Knowing he didn’t need such information to ensure the success of my financial future, I’m assuming he was simply concerned about my soul. I love that about East Texas! Had I fumbled for an answer, he would have invited me to his.

No, we don’t have the Rocky Mountains or the Seattle skyline . . . but I must say, sometimes it’s kind of nice living in the buckle of the Bible belt.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that photo... especially of Ashley. She just looks like she is the boss of that clan.

Shanygne said...

I certainly do appreciate all that kind of stuff... and love that I have been able to bring kids into this ET "bubble"... it will definitely be something I miss when we leave the area. Life will certainly be different!

Just Mom said...

"I was in Victoria’s Secret buying perfume. (Really, I was buying perfume.)"

Uh-huh. Sure.... ;-D I'm kidding.

It's good that you've found a place that you can truly call home.

BTW, I do love that photo of the kids. Boy are they ever cute.

Teresa said...

First of all that picture is ADORABLE! Definitely one for the wall! Second of all, that is so awesome that you hear of Jesus every where you go. God Bless Texas!

rene said...

the thought of hearing Jesus in everyday situations in addition to missing my daughter terribly (she is an HA graduate and an RD for the next 2 yrs) makes me want to move to TX. However, I have had an unfortunate experience of ending up in the ER with 2nd degree burns compliments of the fire ants!! Perhaps Missouri is not so bad!

Anonymous said...

We really are spoiled living in the bible belt! And yes, she does look a little like Paris H. in that picture. Weird!!

Anonymous said...

We are blessed to live in smalltown USA. I have learned to be more open thanks to some awesome E Texas training that came back home to W Michigan. We are blessed here in our little town and I never take it for granted. Not so sure I would ever hear it in VS though.
Great pic of all the clan. They are all keepers! You are one blessed momma.

Jen said...

Love the pic of the kids! They are cuties. That's nice that you hear of Jesus everywhere you go in TX. Some places wouldn't even DREAM of mentioning him which is sad. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

oh beth, this made me laugh! love the victoria secret story!! and yeah, we all believe the lotion story:-)

that is a great picture of the kids!