Saturday, May 05, 2007

Numbering Our Days


Teach me to number my days aright so I might offer to You a heart of wisdom. Psalms 39:4

It has almost been three months since my last post. I won’t try to fill you in on all the household happenings during my blogging absence, but maybe in the weeks ahead I will highlight a few.

One of the biggest was the passing of Kelly’s mom. What a shock to all of us. Just a few weeks ago she was sitting at our kitchen table sharing pizza and a game of cards. How seldom we reflect on the fact life is but a breath. She was only 54.

Though all of us are deeply sad for Kelly who was incredibly close to her mom, and to Jordan who won’t get to grow up with her, we know “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.” Psalm 116:15

Her funeral in Wichita was a true tribute to a life full of love for God, service to others and commitment to family. One of her main ministries was to prisoners. What an incredible treasure she took with her to the throne of God—the salvation of so many lost and hurting people.

Kelly’s mother lived a life well-lived . . . the kind of example that helps us remember life is short, this material world will one day disappear, but relationships and our service to God are eternal. Kelly’s recent posts about her mom as well as the one she wrote on our shared birthday last year is amazing. With renewed commitment, I want to number my days, reflect on what is most important in life and make daily choices with one eye on the present and the other on eternity.

16 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

thank you lord jesus, for bringing beth back to us, to share, just as she did in a way that makes us realize more of you and less of us.

ijn- amen.

welcome back. i missed you.

Stolmit said...

Beth, my heart and sincere prayers are with your family during the time of loss. Your post is wonderfully written and full of positive reminders and examples of how to live this life. Thank you for sharing this intimate details of Kelly's mother's passing with us.

And yes, it's a great joy to have you back in the blogger world. Welcome home!

Laura said...

Glad to see you back...thinking of you and your family. Praying you are knowing so much of God's grace for all of you.

Just Mom said...

Please accept my sincere condolences. I am praying for you and your entire family.

Oh! Welcome back to blogging.

Aisha

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your family's loss. And for Kelly, I cannot imagine my life without my mom and can't even begin to imagine what Kelly is going through. Thank God her mom loved the Lord!!

Welcome back, I missed your blog a LOT!! How are the kids? Has Cole said anything hilarious lately? I'm sure he has!

Thanks for the compliment on my purses, I am having a blast with them.

Lisa H said...

Welcome back, Beth! I've missed your wonderful, funny and inspiring posts! So glad you've rejoined the computer world. :)

Very nice tribute to Wanda, also. I think you made some great points.

Anonymous said...

What a joy to see "Beth" in my comments! I HAVE MISSED YOU! You, the one that started this whole blogging mess in my life :)

My heart has been so sad for Kelly and Jon. What a tragic time. We both know our God and that he orders our steps and makes no mistakes with our days.

Much love to all of you.

I hope this is not just a one time post, but if it is just know how wonderful it is to hear from you. I pray that your ventures have been amazing. I have prayed for you and thought about you constantly. I know God has had great things in store.

Teresa said...

What a blessing to have you back! I am praying for Kelly as she grieves the loss of her mother. Thank you for sharing more about her life and the positives she had in so many lives.

michelle said...

"...reflect on what is most important in life and make daily choices with one eye on the present and the other on eternity." What a great reminder to us all--you've summed up in one line how we should live our lives!

Great to hear from you---I was shocked when I saw your comment on my blog. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Hazel and Blue is back in action. I was so sorry to hear about Kelly's mom. What a shock. We just passed the one year mark of Matt's mom's death. Our communiy here has been such a blessing as I know you all will be for Kelly. Love you!!!

Shanygne said...

Glad to have you back!
Hearing more and more about how wonderful Wanda was, and trying to follow a little in her footsteps and get out of the ruts I have created for myself!

Jen said...

Welcome back Beth. So sorry to hear about Kelly's mom. Although I don't know any of you very well my heart still goes out to you all at this difficult time. I pray that the Lord will comfort you all and bring you peace today and the days to come.

Unknown said...

Oh Beth...I'm SO glad you are back. I'm with Ginger...you got me in to this then...dropped out...so glad you are back. Thanks for sharing the great thoughts on Wanda and the funeral which so honored her and our Lord! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Beth, just wanted to wish you a happy mother's day! You are a fantastic mom with 4 great kids! My daughter still adores them and talks about them often. Oh how we wish we could get to know Nicholas :)
We hope you are feeling blessed today. Much love from both myself and Alicia.

Just Mom said...

Hi Beth,

I hope all is well.

I just wanted to let you know I have a new blog address:

http://anothermomonthego.
blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Thank you for sharing. Kelly and the family are in my thoughts and prayers.