Friday, February 02, 2007

Home Inspection Anxiety


I always want to have my house PERFECT when they come which is why I schedule both our fire inspection and health inspection on the same day. The fact they are obligated to look in ALL of our cabinets, closets, bathtubs, toilets and sinks only adds to my angst. Though I doubt they would give someone a failing grade for disorganization or clutter, it’s rather nice to give the impression one day out of the year our home is perfect from top to bottom.

By the time the doorbell rang I was breathing a sigh of relief—I was actually ready for their white gloves and magnifying glass. Nicholas started crying so I picked him up on my way to the door. While greeting our county fire marshall I had the thought, “That’s a strange cough coming from my little son.” The thought was followed by a moment of horror. Just as our guest was walking into our living room, Nicholas lost the ENTIRE CONTENTS of his lunch all over me!

The fire marshall was very gracious and even held Nicholas while I ran upstairs to change clothes. We passed with flying colors and are now ready for a phone call (usually comes in the middle of the night) from the state of Texas asking if they can place a child in our home immediately.

There is song by John Michael Montgomery called, The Little Girl which reduces David and I to tears every time we hear it. It is based on a true story and is a continuous motivator for us in being foster parents. These are the words . . .

Her parents never took the young girl to church
Never spoke of His name
Never read her His Word
Two non-believers walking lost in this world
Took their baby with them
What a sad little girl

Her daddy drank all day and mommy did drugs
Never wanted to play
Or give kisses and hugs
She’d watch the TV and sit there on the couch
While her mom fell asleep
And her daddy went out

And the drinking and the fighting
Just got worse every night
Behind their couch she’d be hiding
Oh what a sad little life
And like it always does, the bad just got worse
With every slap and every curse
Until her daddy in a drunk rage one night
Used a gun on her mom and then took his life

And some people from the city took the girl far away
To a new mom and new dad
Kisses and hugs everyday
Her first day of sunday school the teacher walked in
And a small little girl
Stared at a picture of Him

She said I know that man up there on that cross
I don’t know his name
But I know he got off
He was there in my old house
And held me close to His side
As I hid there behind our couch
The night that my parents died

We have no idea which child will come through our doors next—but we do know they will be walking through a nightmare no one should have to endure. We hope our home can be a place where they feel safe, secure and loved.

11 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

You guys are foster parents?? Wow! My parents were too. They made the decision when I was in middle school. Over the next 15 years they had over 40 kids come through their doors. One we even adopted. God bless you.

I cry EVERY time I hear that song as well. Oh, to be Jesus to someone.

Anonymous said...

I know you and Dave have changed the lives of some very special little kids already. I know Alicia will never see life the same because of being apart of your family during those times. The things she heard Nigah say and the things she saw with Dumonte will live with her forever. God bless you for your willing hearts. You are His hand and his heart to these little ones.

Anonymous said...

Love that song. I didn't know you guys were still foster parents. That is so great! What a blessing you all are.

I pray that the right child, that needs to be in your house, will be sent your way. I know God has a master plan for these children and so glad that you all have made yourselves available to Him for this.

Debbie said...

I will be praying, Beth.

Lisa H said...

We will sure be praying for you guys and the children who are sent your way.

Way to go on the inspections! :)

michelle said...

You reduced me to tears! What an amazing thing you are doing for these children. To think that children in need will live with such Godly, wonderful family. You are changing these little lives!

Kim said...

That is so awesome that you do that. I am sure that God will richly bless you.

Anonymous said...

Inspiring! What a calling from God when you already have such a full house!
I love it!
Lacy

Sohailah said...

I was wondering what the inspections were for - WOW! what a gift you are giving. Incredible.

Anonymous said...

I thought you couldn't do it anymore? That's so awesome!!!
Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting that! From a case manager who sees things like this every day I know how important it is that these children go to not just loving homes, but Christian homes. And there's always a need for more foster homes!
~Molly
www.xanga.com/mulmol