Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Timing Is Everything


Oh sure. It was the day report cards were handed out for the quarter. So during the basketball game, I let my curiosity get the best of me. While digging in Ashley’s backpack for her report card I totally MISSED seeing her make the FIRST BASKET of her life!! The other parents were clapping, screaming (a little out of control) and asking me, “Did you see that?” What is up with my timing?!

Ashley is such a tiny little thing. The fact she is in the fifth grade while most of our opponents are in either 7th or 8th only exaggerates the issue. Watching her in the huddle during a timeout I thought, “How did we get here?” It seems like just yesterday she was a baby. My mind flashed back to her nursery, the toddler years, the day she started kindergarten . . . how is it possible she is now a tween? She still has the little chubby cheeks she was born with and that great big grin she used to greet me with from her crib.

When David (serving as one of the officials) called a foul on her, it brought me back to the present. The growing up years are so short. Each stage is a gift. I don’t want to miss a moment . . . which is why I was overjoyed when I saw Ashley make the SECOND basket of life.

Way to go Ashley! Who says short people can’t be great basketball players?!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley is GORGEOUS!!! Wow.

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of her. She's as cute as her momma:) It does make me wish I could watch Lee go down the court for one more rebound. She was always the tall one on the team. Ashley's picture is as cute as a button.

Lisa H said...

Love the socks in Ashley's basketball picture--so cute!

Way to go Ashley! Keep shooting baskets and earning those fouls! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Ashley!!

OK, did you mean that Ashley fouled someone.....and David CALLED IT? Can he lay off the honor a little bit and give his daughter an edge??? :-)

Anonymous said...

Alicia laughed at David calling the foul on Ashley, too. She could just picture it in her mind. She was laughing just thinking about him being all into the game. Hey, you gotta play by the rules, but poor Ashley having her dad as the ref!

Sohailah said...

DARLING! The only girl basketball picture I have ever seen where the girl is so beautiful she could be modeling!

Michelle said...

Being short in basketball can actually be an advantage because you can get lower than the giants can...I learned that quick when playing basketball as a kid.

I dont think I could handle it if my dad was a ref in one of my games...if he ever called something against me I'm afraid I would have taken it personally and cried or something...lol

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting puddles of tears all over the front of my shirt today :) Little Cole...wait until Alicia reads the comment you left me. She's gonna cry just like her mom.
Love you sooo much. Now if I could just learn to pray like you. I've heard the story about your date with David and going to the prayer group. Can I be like you when I grow up?

Anonymous said...

I love those socks!!

I just can't believe how old these kids are getting! Sometimes in the mirror I look and think, "am I really a mom? A wife? the mother of an EIGHT YEAR OLD??" It's just so surreal to be this blessed... how can I have bad days when I have so much!?!
Shanygne

michelle said...

You go Ashley! I was a 'short' b-ball player...just gives you an edge on speed and the fact that everyone is underestimating you--thats when you pull out the 'moves'.

I too loved that David called a foul on her..I bet that made for some fun banter in the car on the way home.