Thursday, December 14, 2006

Little D


Cole and Little D
Originally uploaded by °Beth.
Many of you have asked about Little D. He came into our lives while recovering from severe injuries to his brain as a result of child abuse. He wasn’t yet two.

We picked him up at a hospital in Dallas where they taught us how to feed him through a feeding tube and how to work with him on relearning skills like crawling, walking, swallowing and talking. Though born a perfect, healthy child, the doctors didn’t actually think he would live when as a last resort they removed a large portion of his skull in order for his brain to continue swelling. Miraculously Little D did pull through.

We weren’t really sure if we could handle the extreme measures it would require to care for Little D, but after praying about it God gave both David and I one verse, “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me (Matthew 25:40).” It was that verse that daily got us through sleepless nights, numerous trips to Dallas hospitals, the lengthy surgery and hospital stay to replace the missing piece in his skull, the criminal trial for his abuser and most of all saying goodbye. We had Little D for 8 months.

Though I could write a book, I find it hard to condense into a few paragraphs the impact little D has had on our lives. For myself, it is by far the most significant and hardest thing I have ever done—and the most rewarding. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Tomorrow Little D and his two younger siblings are being adopted by his forever family. We feel really good about this wonderful Christian family and know God is watching over him.

They have graciously agreed to let us continue to be in Little D’s life—for which we are immeasurably grateful. I talked with Little D on the phone just a few days ago. He is doing remarkable well and is even going to preschool. Doctors are hopeful he will recover fully physically and mentally. He is currently living like any other normal three year old.

We love you Little D. We pray tomorrow will be the first of many happy days for you and your new family.

12 comments:

Shanygne said...

Wow... I am so glad for the update.
What an amazing story of redemption and provision...God must have big plans for D, dont' you think??

The hardest things in our lives are often the most beneficial to us in so many ways, huh?

Anonymous said...

This is one of the best and incredible things that I can remember about Alicia's times with your family. She loved and adored this child. She will never forget the time at the hospital when the skull was being replaced. I felt so apart of this whole story and yet never even saw a picture of this child she treasured so in her heart. I remember how she could not hold him, how she would lovingly talk to him while we would chat on the phone, how she lavished blessings on him as though he were her own. She could not compreheld his little life. I could not comprehend your commitment. I now do...
Thanks Beth for sharing this season in your lives with us. I prayed so earnestly for this child, his family, your family, and his new family. God has once again been so very faithful.

Sohailah said...

thanks so much for sharing. As an adopted child, I have SUCH appreciation for those who open their homes and hearts. And as foster parents, I think you are very brave - because good-bye must be torture. How wonderful that he is beig adopted - LOVE that.

Anonymous said...

oh beth what a precious story! so heartbreaking and yet you can see God's goodness in the midst of it all! you inspire me! i hope to take in kids like that one day as well! I cried when you said all 3 of them will be adopted tomorrow! SO exciting and such a happy ending for them!

Anonymous said...

Oh Beth, tears filled my eyes when I saw his picture. I am so glad you are able to keep in contact with him and SO happy to hear of his adoption. He is such a precious little boy.

Charlene said...

That is amazing and what a cute picture. Thank you for the update.
Love,
Charlene

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all you did for him! Hanging in there through all those rough times is heroic. As a case manager for foster care and adoption, I truly appreciate you guys hanging in there - we see foster parents give up way too often, which of course is terrible for the kids. It's SO neat that you get to keep in contact with him! Thanks again,
Molly
www.xanga.com/mulmol

Heidi Jo Comes said...

When I was 11 my parents decided to become foster parents. In the next 10 years we saw 30+ children come and leave through our doors. It was the hardest thing...and the most rewarding, just as you said. It taught me so much about myself and what Christ meant when He said in the verse you quoted.

Great is your reward.

Anonymous said...

What a sweetie. I bet he is such a big boy now! Much bigger than the last time I saw him.

YOU are such amazing people.

So glad he and his brothers will spend a Merry Christmas with their forever famiyl!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to read your update. I had wonder what had happened to Little D and am glad to hear that he now has a forever family.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great story! My husband and I are just becoming trained in foster care - I can't wait to help a baby out like you and Dave did!