Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Risks Of Living In East Texas


Jonathan–no cavities!
Originally uploaded by Beth.
My kids’ dentist left a message on my machine yesterday. They wanted to set up a time to get Jonathan’s “fillin’s” taken care of. I wasn’t the one that actually took he and Ashley to their appointments a couple of days ago, so I didn’t realize he needed anything. I listened to the message and then freaked out for a good 20 minutes.

You must understand—we have never had a cavity in our household. I was hoping the hereditarily strong teeth David and I are blessed with would be passed down to our kids, and they too would not have to deal with awful travesties like cavities.

I called David on the edge of tears (I am 9 months pregnant after all) because I felt sooo guilty. “Why do I let them eat candy?! Why don’t I make him drink more milk?!”

I finally calmed myself down and called the dentist back. I am now one happy Mama! If you’ve never lived in East Texas, you might not understand what I am about to write. Some native East Texans talk with a bit of unusual flair where generally all vowels tend to blend together in a similar tone. What I heard on the machine was, “fillin’s.” What the receptionist actually said was “sealants.”

Sealants are a GOOD thing. They prevent cavities!

After the 20 minutes of trauma, I made a decision my kids are not going to appreciate—they will now be eating less candy and drinking more milk! Just trying to prevent a future phone call to set an appointment for “fillin’s.”

8 comments:

Lisa H said...

Sam and I have had a few of those "East Texas" experiences. The other day, a guy I was giving directions to asked if we lived near the pie place. At least that is what I heard! After about 6 repetitions (I felt so bad!) I understood he was saying pipe, not pie. It's like a different language!

Anonymous said...

I recieved a phone message from a doctors office recently intended for my inlaws who spend the winters in Texas. I had to play it over several times trying to understand even a single word. It never did make sense to me. The funny part is when we visit down your way everyone laughs at us because of how we talk :) I guess we sound a bit nassal up here in the north. God does have a sense of humor doesn't he?

Michelle said...

haha thats funny...I have had a few experiences like that but then again I grew up in Oklahoma so the talk isnt that much different :)

thanks for your help I will try it out and if I cant figure it out I will let you know.

Will you be at graduation? I will be there to see my core and some of my best friends graduate. Hope to see you :)

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I just have to add one more note. The first time Alicia and I got our nails done the Asain lady kept saying, "Happy?" We kept looking at eachother and saying, "Yes, we are happy." Finally she got angry and yelled at us saying, "HOW YOU PAY?" We felt like two blondes sitting there. We responded by saying, "Ohhhhh, how we pay?" (big smiles....)"Cash" (big dumb looks on our faces) hahaha...that's a moment we will never forget!
PS I still want to be Alicia when I grow up and your David has MUCH to do with that!

Michelle said...

That is toooo funny. Thanks for the good laugh and the reminder of Texas:-)

Karenkool said...

Oh hilarious! I love the whole accent thing. I can remember some really good ones when I lived in TN.

Congrats on the cavity-free family!!! I have good teeth but Terry has bad ones so... we haven't had such great returns on the gene pool.

My kids are terrible about candy too! (especially the teenage boys)!!

Shanygne said...

I have to admit, that since we have talked about sealants with the dentist for Emily, knowing Jonathan is the same age, and East Texas, I saw that one coming...but it was still stinkin hilarious!

Unknown said...

YOu might appreciate the fact that J would not even eat the Manna BEars because the dentist told him he could not eat 'STICKY' things. I tried to convince him these were good things but there was no going there with him!