Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Red Light Dilemmas


Cole on a Sega
Originally uploaded by Beth.
We were driving in Tyler yesterday when “Willie Nelson” pulled up next to us at a red light. From the back we heard an ever so soft, awe-filled, long-drawn out, “Cooooool!”

Was our three year old referring to the red bandana around the man’s forehead flying in the wind? Was he overly impressed with the myriad of tattoos all over his body? Maybe it was his long, gray hair spun into little braids and dangling like the mop hanging in my garage.

Did his lengthy gray beard fill my little Cole’s heart with delight? Or better yet, was it the rather worn cowboy boots sticking out beneath his torn and tattered jeans?

Or lastly, was it simply the loud, fast, low to the ground, disgusting bike on which the man was reclining that caused the sigh to spill forth from my sweet son’s lips?

These are the questions I don’t have answers to . . . only prayers!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I love the characters you meet living in Texas!

Shanygne said...

You are such a good writer! You make even stopping at a red light interesting!

It brings me back to a speaker we had at Director's Summit one time (can't remember who it is)that said we should be able to come up with at least three "nuggets" every day... you, and Michelle, are probably great at finding at least FIVE!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Miss Alicia needs to come over for one last lesson on how to paint french tip nails. As I recall Jay thought they were "cool". Please don't tell David.

Lisa H said...

How funny that you don't even know which part Cole was admiring! I'm betting it was the cowboy boots. He's a Texan, right? :)

Unknown said...

You are such an awesome writer! Could you please write my blogs once in a while?