Wednesday, July 05, 2006

No More Monsters!


Cole
Originally uploaded by Beth.
I should have taken a more aggressive approach years ago. The veggies tale video entitled, “Where’s God When I’m Scared” is supposed to help your kids not be afraid.

We bought the video when Jonathan was a year old. Unfortunately we think it actually gave him the idea of monsters. I can remember how he would run to David or I crying big tears every time Ashley would pop it in the VCR.

Ashley and Jonathan outgrew that video years ago. Unfortunately the other night Cole asked David to cue it up for him. He was watching it by himself in the playroom while David was in the living room. Suddenly David heard loud, nearly hysterical crying. Cole had been watching the video with all the lights out. When the video got scary, he ran over to the T.V. and shut it off—the unfortunate result was total darkness.

David held Cole until his tears subsided and tried desperately to explain to him there really is no such thing as a monster.

Cole doesn’t yet believe us about the “no monsters” thing . . . but there are certainly no more “scary” videos in our home. Maybe that video does help other kids overcome their fears, but at our house it is now filed away forever—in the trash!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, reminds me of the time Alicia was babysitting and Jay was afraid at bedtime and they prayed together and talked about angels being all around so there was no need for fear. He kept asking if the angels were everywhere in his room for comfort. She told him God was there, and Jesus, and angels and his room was full. I don't know if you guys told him this first or what, but he finally had a big smile and fell off to sleep.

Shanygne said...

Oh! Poor Cole!! I think for kids that are already afraid, it helps, but those that don't have a clue about monsters, yet, it GIVES them fear... I think kids should just think monsters are on Sesame Street. Funny, cute, sweet furry things that talk and sing songs.

Michelle said...

That video scared my boys when they were little too! Lily likes to pretend there are monsters everywhere. She'll yell, "Monsters!" Then she'll throw up her hands and scream. I don't think she's really scared, it's just all about the drama for her :-)

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I remember you saying that you thought that video might have scared Jay but Cole hasn't seemed afraid of anything...I'm very surprised. As much as Jordan loves Veggie Tales, I'll make sure to never get that one! By the way, she asks to watch the silly songs video you got her about 5 times a day. I limit it to once (unless Jon is out of town) but she absolutely loves it!

Unknown said...

Monsters are scary things...good choice for the video!

Anonymous said...

I have loved reading your page. I have caught up with your life in such a way that it feels like we are right next door again. Man were those different days.

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»