Tuesday, June 13, 2006

We're Under Siege


More pets!
Originally uploaded by Beth.
I’m not so good with pets. I’ve never really found the amount of work they require worth the return. Not so for my kids. They love animals. We indulge their love because when we don’t we fear we’re depriving them of a happy childhood. Thus we have a dog, a cat, and two empty fish bowls. (Don’t ask. It was a very sad day when Mommy accidentally sent them to fish heaven.)

Last week Grammy Hasz added another kitten to our brood. Ashley likes to wrap her up in a baby blanket and carry her around like a doll. Duchess doesn’t seem to mind even though we’re enduring typical Texas temperatures over 100 degrees.

As if this were not enough, David took the kids yesterday to pick out more fish. We now have seven fish residing in the big, lovely fish aquarium my dad decided we needed. I informed everyone I was not in any way contributing to the well-being (or lack thereof) of the fish.

But alas it doesn’t end there! Today David and I returned from a trip to the doctor’s office only to be greeted at the car with three very excited kids holding four new kittens. Jonathan found them in a hole under our new deck. Ashley has been talking about Princess having kittens for quite some time. David and I kept telling her that it was not possible. What do we know about these things? We asked her what had given her the idea other than her undying optimism for such things. She replied, “Because she had those little nibble things on her.”

Let’s hope our kids are living that happy childhood . . . the pets around here are starting to take over!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about the pet thing!! I just gave in about a week ago and got Jeremy and Trevor a puppy. I am not sure what I was thinking.. besides that I love my husband very much and I don't want Trevor to be deprived from having a puppy!! :)

Michelle said...

I think you need to add a llama or some goats now. Then you could also get that farm tax credit that Texas offers :-)

Anonymous said...

Ohhh cute! When Linds was Ashley's age she came home from piano lessons and said she had to stay away from the teachers cat because it was "all heated up". We still laugh at that one :) We did the fish thing too, they were gone for over two weeks before any of the kids ever missed them. I remember the toilet bowl was really clean one day though.

Anonymous said...

It seems to be a constant party at the Hasz house... fun, fun, fun!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I was thinking about taking Jordan to the zoo...maybe we could come over to your house instead. Do you charge admission?

Anonymous said...

ah, i love the haircuts!!