Saturday, June 17, 2006

Surprise!


Happy Birthday David!
Originally uploaded by Beth.
Surprises are always fun. Thirty-eight years ago today David surprised everyone—he was baby number two. His parents had no idea they were having twins!

It kind of fits David’s personality to arrive into the world with such a bang. He tends to make everything fun.

I can remember having the thought in high school that I definitely wanted to marry someone who makes the world laugh. Though I added probably somewhat more significant and meaningful traits to my list along the way . . . a knock you off your chair, never a dull moment humor is certainly one of the many wonderful characteristics defining this man I married.

I could tell a million stories of the ways in which David brings laughter to the world. He isn’t just the life of the party . . . the party doesn’t really start until he gets there.

I’ve watched in amazement as David creatively uses this gift to bless others. In one moment it’s a witty comment to ease tensions in a room full of stress. In another it’s by using a perfect balance of wisdom and humor to diffuse someone’s anger. The one I love most is how he can say just the right thing, to even a complete stranger, to make their otherwise dull or difficult day a much better place to be.

If you know David, I don’t have to tell you what a tremendous and wonderful person he is. Just as David was a surprise gift to his parents so many years ago, he is today and everyday an ongoing gift to all of us.

Happy Birthday, Honey! I’ve immensely enjoyed these past twelve years of laughing by your side!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alicia just told me today that it was Dave's bday.
What a wonderful blessing to have a husband who makes you laugh.
I am so blessed with that same gift. You never know what's coming..it's a good thing!
Happy Birthday Day Dave! God's best today and always! You are a gift to Beth and this world. "A merry heart does good like a medicine." May you live to be 100!

Anonymous said...

Any exciting birthday plans?

Anonymous said...

I love to read your posts Beth!! Give Dave our love and best wishes...

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday Dave! We wish you the best!

Unknown said...

What a blessing to read words like this about my son from his wife. You are a great mate for David and we praise the LORD for you both. One of these days I'll finish the story of his birth on my blogsite!