Thursday, June 08, 2006

"Music" To Mine Ears


The Musicians
Originally uploaded by Beth.
There are new sounds in the Hasz household—we’ve begun violin lessons! Truly it is amazing the sacrifices parents will make for their children.

Listening to kids struggle to learn a new instrument can be rough. Yet with every little new sound they produce they are so proud of themselves. I am daily honing my encouragement and affirmation skills.

Because Cole is not allowed to touch his siblings’ violins, I told him we would get one for him at Walmart. This was very exciting for Cole. Unfortunately, when we got to Walmart, we learned they do not sell play violins.

Picking up a small guitar I said, “Cole, do you like this violin?” “Mom, that’s not a violin, that’s a guitar.” How does a three year old know these things?!!

He declined the guitar and instead wanted the “yellow horn.” I was perfectly okay with putting the $16 guitar back and getting the $ .88 recorder. Unfortunately, the $ .88 recorder did not come with a silencer . . . so here I am. Can anyone tell me out there if this will someday pay off? Did little Johann Sebastian drive his mother crazy?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I think you should get Cole a set of drums :-) So glad to see you posting again! I've missed you!