Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Basket Case


Ready for Bible School
Originally uploaded by Beth.
Everyone knows pregnant women are emotional . . . I’m way off the charts.

We decided to join our Smith cousins for another week of Bible School at their church. When I took Ashley and Jonathan inside to register, I felt like I was pushing them forward. They can get really shy when they don’t know anyone, and both of them were being quite reluctant.

I sent Ashley over to the table for her age group and then took Jonathan to his. After signing him up we saw his cousin, Jon Michael, waving wildly to us, jumping up and down, and frantically trying to get our attention. Suddenly Jonathan’s shyness melted away. He ran to join Jon Michael and the seven year old class.

It was then that I looked over toward Ashley and realized she had huge tears running down her face. She didn’t know anyone in her class and was totally freaking out.

While simultaneously trying to console her and convince her she would love her class, I felt tears welling up in my own eyes. Was I flashing back to her first day of kindergarten? Was the 100 degree heat simply more than I could bear at that moment? I am clueless as to why I was crying! The little fourteen old helper was clueless as to what to do with us as well.

Someone looking in from the outside might have concluded I had had a fight with my husband on the way there, or possibly had just lost someone close to me to cancer . . . on the contrary, I had just had some pretty good news. David was planning on leaving town for a week to go to Creation Fest in Pennsylvania, and we had just moments ago received word that it had been canceled due to the floods there. (Let me clarify by saying, I am in no way rejoicing over this major upset in which tons of ministry, man-hours, and money will be lost. I’m just simply saying, that in my little world, I’m quite glad my husband won’t be leaving for a week.)

The problem was solved when the teacher from the older class let Ashley join them—she was now with her twin cousins, Tori and Haley. All was well once again.

David and Cole were waiting for me in the van. I went out and told David what a ridiculous idiot I had made of myself. David just laughed. Is it bad when you make a complete dimwit of yourself, your husband considers it just your normal behavior?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it help to know I had a hard time reading your blog because my eyes were too full of tears? This is "me" everyday. Your priceless!

Michelle said...

Totally can relate. How nice of the VBS teacher to let Ashley join her cousins. On a side note, I cry quite easily these days.......you're not alone.

Anonymous said...

Beth you do know he talks about you to the interns right? While I was there home stories were mostly about Ashley, but he would still slip one in once in a while about you. I'm sure his laughter was only because he instantly thought of the perfect place to fit that story into one of his lessons.
I love reading your site. You have some great stories about Cole. He came after my intern years, but I think while I was still doing random road trips for ATF. In 2007 I will at least have some cooing stories to compete with you on. =)
Did you guys ever come up with a name?

Michelle said...

when my cousin was pregnant I was helping her move out of her apartment and at one point I said something kind of funny (kind of) and she started laughing so hare she couldn't breathe. THen out of nowhere, in about 2 seconds she went from laughing hysterically to uncontrolably balling! I didnt really know what to do about it and she had no idea why she was crying so hard. It wasnt really funny at the time but we joke about it now. :)

Anonymous said...

I also teared up reading your blog...and I'm definitely not pregnant! You know what gets me all the time? Sappy commercials...I weep like a baby at sappy commercials. The only good news is that I do this in the privacy of my home (usually) so no one sees.

Shanygne said...

I am right there with you. I can cry at the drop of a hat these days...almost literally.

Anonymous said...

That is my life all the time. :) Before, during, and after I had Trevor. It's just my everyday life. :) It must be a girl thing. I am glad that David get to be home with you. I am sure you love that!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.