Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Can You Say Obsession?


I remember when I was a kid my dad saying, “There’s a new show on television I think we should watch.” My sisters and I responded with groans because we wanted to watch something else (I don’t remember what). My dad threw out what he knew would seal the deal, “It’s a show with a bunch of kids in it—just like the Brady Bunch!!

Instantly he won us over. I grew up loving Thursday nights with John-boy, Mary Ellen, Jason, Ben, Erin, Jim-bob and Elizabeth. Thanks to great channels like Hallmark, nerds like me can relive their childhood memories of the great depression, the warmth of the Walton farmhouse, the charm of Ike Godsey’s store, and the simple ways of life in the Blueridge mountains of Virginia. We can also catch all the later episodes we were too cool to watch during our teenage years.

Yesterday, on my birthday of all days, the Waltons were replaced on the Hallmark channel with “Murder She Wrote.” What’s up with that!!?? Knowing dvds have been made of everything that will sell, I googled “The Waltons” to see what was out there. Jiminy Cricket!! My passion is shared by multitudes of like-minded fanatics like me. There are Walton websites, museums, books, memorabilia and a whole Walton fan community!

So now thanks to amazon, not only do I have the first five seasons, the TV premiere, and the famous Homecoming heading my way, (a little birthday present to myself) I have joined the blogasphere world of everything Walton. Don’t you just love living in the 21st century!

8 comments:

Jen said...

That is one show I have not seen that I would like to see! Glad you found the DVD's!!! Enjoy!

Danielle said...

I love the Walton's too! When I worked at TM and lived in Van, I used to go home for lunch everyday and catch a good half hour of the Walton's every day! Even tho it was the depression, and on a mountain...those were the days!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

that is hilarious beth! can you imagine something so wholesome and moral being on television today? good grief!

i wish my passion/obsessive show love was for something with more character and value...well, Seinfeld was full of characters....:-)

Michelle said...

WOW...I can honestly say I have never seen the Waltons, but from your excitement I dont doubt its amazingness :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Beth! I hope David treated you like a queen!
I loved the Waltons and John Boy. What a great family show. Oh the great memories :) I think I watched every episode, before the reruns.

Shanygne said...

How fun!! I have wanted to do that with Little House on the Prairie... I remember coming home from school and watching it nearly every day...
Enjoy your birthday present!!

michelle said...

Too funny...Grandma got Skyler the 1st 2 Seasons for her b-day this month. Had to start a new wholesome series as we are nearing the finish of Little House on the Prairie...again thanks to Grandma!

So I would say isn't living in the 21st century and Grandmas great. :-)

Stolmit said...

I wanted to be one of the Waltons when I was young. They had such the perfect family. No one farted at the table. The mother never chased the kids out the door with a broom. And everyone said, "Good night" rather than, "You brats get your butts up to bed right now or else!"