Friday, June 29, 2007

The Best Thing I Did This Month

I have famous friends.

One famous friend is Shannon. She writes the popular Christian “Every Woman’s Battle” series. She has sold something like a bizillion books. Guess she hit a nerve in today’s society—not to mention the small fact she writes (and speaks) quite well.

In her most recent book, Completely His, yours truly is mentioned . . . maybe this will be my one small claim to fame—so I’ll just go ahead and “let my light shine.”

“Beth has four young children of her own and all of the responsibilities that come with marriage and motherhood. However, Beth also made time to volunteer with the local CASA chapter (Court Appointed Special Advocates), serving as a liaison between abused children and the court to determine the best interests of the children. Her passion for abused and orphaned children blossomed to the point that she and her husband, Dave, completed all the paperwork, jumped through all the necessary legal hoops, and became foster parents to displaced children. Not only does Beth have plenty of love for her own family, but she has enough to go around to other children who may have never experienced God’s love in their own dysfunctional homes.” (pg. 123)

Wow, I don’t sound too shabby when you put it that way!

In all seriousness, I started reading this book the moment it came in the mail (she sends me a copy of all of them) and I couldn’t put it down. She had me hooked from page one.

Shannon didn’t put me up to it (I doubt she even knows I have a blog), but I am highlighting her book because it is an incredible journey of how one woman’s response to tragedy led to a closer walk with the Lord. I believe it can be a true source of help and strength to so many people who live under a cloud of guilt and condemnation.

If you're yearning for a good read that will sweep you away and return you with an inner make-over—this one's for you. But please be forwarned . . . you'll need a big box of tissues at your side!

9 comments:

michelle said...

Sounds awesome! I love that you toot your horn in this post it is a horn worth tooting!

Tell Shannon she made it to SA although she probably knows...I about fell over when I saw her books in the Christian bookstore.

It is awesome what you are doing! You are a woman to be admired!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

oh how cool is that? so, it isn't fiction then?

isn't it nice to hear someone else put our life into such a nice perspective. all of us have admirable qualities and traits, but we're so busy digging in the trenches that we don't realize them until someone else highlights them!

you should be very proud!

Anonymous said...

I already know how amazing you are without reading about you in a book, but I think the book sounds worth the read anyway :)

Alicia was blessed to hear Shannon and to be apart of her Bible study.

I may have to buy the book and highlight the part on the page listing you and then pass it on to all of my friends who love to read now that you are my famous friend!

Alicia said...

Looks like a great read! It is one of my goals to foster parent and/or someday adopt due to the influence of your family.

I can't believe how big Nicolas is getting!! I still have never even seen him. :)

Hope your family is doing well!

Anonymous said...

I've seen her on TV a few times and saw her on the cover of a magazine once -- very cool to know somebody who is "making it". : ) And very cool of her to mention you in her book!

Anonymous said...

Beth, come check out my blog. I have awarded you a bloggers award!

Shanygne said...

I heard an interview she did on KVNE and cried the whole time she told the story... Can't wait to read the book!

yes, it was Laura in Denver. She had a little girl, Lucy Jean, on Thursday morning, aroudn 1:30a.m. She and I have connected thru our losses and now subsequent pregnancies... it's been a lifesaver emotionally to have someone really know how it all feels, ya know? Mom and baby are both doing great!

Just Mom said...

I didn't realize you were a CASA volunteer. That is AWESOME. A group tried to start a CASA organization here a few years ago, but I'm not sure how many volunteers they actually got. I'm guessing the group only got one or two volunteers because we don't hear about CASA anymore.

The book sounds fantastic, by the way. I'll have to check it out.

clever[art] said...

Okay, so Shannon, "your friend", is famous. Um, how does this make me feel? Hmm? And she's charitable with her time too? Wonder if "I am charitable with my time?" Oh, guess what, I AM. Could I be famous? Oh, wait a second, I WILL BE. Okay, there ya go!!!

Sorry, in a mood tonight. Must be something in the air.