Sunday, October 22, 2006

Thirteen Years Ago Today . . .


David and I
Originally uploaded by °Beth.
The majestic brilliant colors of Colorado seemed jubilant in praise as afternoon was slowly drifting into dusk. The Rocky mountains glistened as the western sun showered the front range with her last lingering rays of glorious radiance. Slowly we drove toward a favorite place overlooking a picturesque scene quite similar to a view from that famous, beloved musical where the hills are alive. Just to the east all of Denver could be seen as if this city of a million plus was nothing more than a quaint little village out of Dr. Seuss’ tale of how the Grinch stole Christmas.

Clasping my hand in his, David led me up the mountain path that lay before us. Reading from Proverbs 31 he described all the ways in which he cherished me.

Suddenly in our ascent, a small delicate obstruction interrupted our journey: A perfect crimson rose standing tall between a myriad of carefully placed rocks (I was beginning to get suspicious). David reached down and picked up the rose expressing his surprise to find such a treasure of beauty on this lone path we were treading—carefully noting it’s symbolic significance.

With delight I took the rose as my heart beat faster realizing this might not turn out to be just a casual stroll. David then directed my eyes just slightly of to the left where three other roses just like the first, created a small path into the brush. Taking a few steps to pick up each rose, I stumbled onto an entire bouquet of roses. We continued up the incline when it suddenly became apparent to my wondering eyes—the entire mountain was filled with carefully placed roses!

By the time we reached our destination of a seat of rocks on which to rest, I had no less than one hundred roses in my arms! Sitting together we bowed our heads in prayer. It was a holy moment. A hush filled the air in the grandeur around us. It seemed as if the angels leaned in close to listen.

Taking my hands in his, David asked me that ageless question a heart in love longs to hear, “Beth, will you marry me?” My mind whirled with the many words my brain had learned with which I could answer: da (Russian), duai (Chinese), ah-cha (Hindi), te-ke (Urdu), e-ye (Kazakh) . . . finally without further hesitation my mind came into focus and English would simply have to suffice—YES!

13 comments:

michelle said...

Awww...how sweet. I absolutely love the picture of you two! :-)

Happy Anniversary!

michelle said...

Oh, I meant, Happy 'Engagement' Anniversary.

Anonymous said...

Make a TV movie...this is priceless. Happy anniversary...wishing you blessing and blessing from above. All I can say is it only gets better, this from someone whose been married twice as long :)

Anonymous said...

AWWWW...soooo sweet!

Anonymous said...

*takes notes* That's really cool.

Not to mention, that picture of Mr. Hasz is priceless to an intern.

Beth said...

Ben, you are a wise man. I like to tell young men like yourself—the engagement story needs to be good enough to tell at the bridal shower!

jacki said...

aww.... way cool. I like the pic you too you so cute together.

Anonymous said...

Not Nate from the HA...Nathan from the White House intern days...Also, who do you think the cutie in the picture is???

Michelle said...

OMG!! That is the cutest engagement story I have ever heard! If I had a story like that I would be telling it every year!

Random Observation:
Beth, you are an amazing writer...for a second I thought you were quoting from some romance novel. You have an amazing way of taking memories and turning them into art. Have you ever thought of writing a book?

Shanygne said...

Beautiful! I agree with Michelle that you trun stories into art... even the mundane becomes interesting in your hands...

Love you!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful proposal. I can't believe I've known you for all these years and have never heard the story! David needs to make sure he tells his sons about this, so they can follow in his footsteps. Unfortunately, Rod's dad never mentioned the importance of the proposal to Rod, so I have a very sad proposal story. Rod is still incredibly embarrassed about it 18 years later. :-)

Lisa H said...

I'm a little behind...I haven't been on the computer for days. I LOVED your engagement story-so sweet! Thanks for sharing!

And Michelle, will we be hearing your story on your blog soon? :)

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful story!!!