Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Caution: Very Serious Blog


Nicholas
Originally uploaded by °Beth.
Everytime I dial in, AOL offers me several news articles to tap into at my leisure. Today one caught my eye and click, click I learned Ms. Magazine will be publishing 1,016 names of women who are unashamed of the decision they made to have an abortion. They are sending a petition to Washington hoping to influence Congress, the White House and state legislators.

Nicholas is now seven weeks old. His chubby little cheeks never cease to make me smile. He loves to snuggle, listen to music, sleep and eat. He is just starting to focus with his eyes, and occasionally he will give a glimmer of a smile. I find myself wondering many times throughout the day what God’s plans are for this little one.

Sweet baby. There are not words to describe the depths of the love I have for him. I am so thankful for this gift from God and would hate to imagine my life without him.

I had other plans. I loved college and always intended to pursue higher education. Though I started a masters program, I never finished it . . . other things kept taking precedence.

Cole will be going to a full day K-4 class next fall. Because I love to be way out in front on being prepared, I had already made plans to go back to school when Cole started this program . . . once again my plans have been changed.

I have learned in life that God’s plans are far superior to mine. I wouldn’t trade Nicholas for all the doctorates in the world. All of my kids are the joy of my life. Without hesitation I would gladly give my life for them.

Most parents know exactly what I mean. They too share this deep down love—indescribable with words; overwhelming in depth.

I wonder at the 5000 women who have signed this petition thus far (they only had room for 1,016 in the article). Do they ever have sleepless nights wondering what contribution their child might have brought to the world? Do they ever have regret for a decision they can never undo?

I have a suspicion. In an attempt to quell such feelings of possible doubt, maybe it is easier to sign a petition stating the opposite—reaching out to find “strength” from others who have made the same choice . . .

For those of us who know differently, we are sad. We are sad for these women who bought into a lie. I’m sure there are many who suffer in silence trying to forget . . . while others sign petitions to boldly proclaim their lack of regret. Only God can bring peace to such self-inflicted sorrow.

But most of all, we are sad for the millions of little lives that will never know the light of day, never know what it is to breathe, and never know the feeling of sweet safe contentment found only in their mother’s arms.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a touching post Beth. You need to submit this somewhere to be published. It is incredibly written and speaks to the heart. It needs to be read by many, many people.

Also, Nicholas is just beautiful! I love that picture.

Anonymous said...

Beth, Dave and I are in awe at the beauty of your children with each photo we see of them. We both look forward to every new post just to look at your kids. Nicholas is a prize just like your other three.
Your post makes my heart hurt. After struggling with infertility and finally having Lindsey I met and became close friends with a young mom who had been through several abortions. She was now saved and just couldn't let go of her hurt from the past. She had two beautiful little girls and over time continued to have kids. She ended up with six and said she felt like she needed to try to replace children that she had chosen to destroy. Wow, what a burden to carry. She was searching over and over as to how to leave it all at the cross. I no longer see her. Life just moved on. I think of her whenever I hear anything about abortion. She was so special and dear to my heart.
Hug your blessings and know that God has you right where He planned for you to be. I often wish I had some college education, but it never happened at all. I'm just a "Gideon" waiting in the bushes :)

Anonymous said...

Nicholas is perfect, congratulations! Thank God the Lord planned for you to be a mommy, you have wonderful children (who are blessed with amazing parents) who will change the world.

I can't wait to be a mom.

Lisa H said...

Well said, Beth. I read the news blurb about that article as well, and it made me so sad. So many lost, empty women. Thanks for writing such an insightful blog today.

Janelle said...

so true, and so reflective of God's heart. thanks for sharing with us.

michelle said...

I second or I guess third? that you should submit this...it pierces the heart! I can't imagine my life with out my 3...such precious gifts from God.

By the way, thank you for sending me a baby announcement. I just want to squeeze your little blessing...so cute. I love the meaning of his name too. You are very sweet to think of me!

Anonymous said...

Awww! He is adorable...I can't wait for him to snuggle with me...I agree with you...I would have gladly traded all my years of school for a little one...

Shanygne said...

I totally agree...pain from loss/poor choices usually turns to anger at ANYONE that says they might have made a mistake. I think we all do that.

When I think about these women, see the girls at Fatherheart, I just get terribly sad... sad that they made the choice to get pregnant in the first place, and then sad that others are hurting their children...and then sad that Mine had to die too early...and it wasn't a choice.

Love you, Beth! Beautiful post!

Michelle said...

Thanks for taking the time to check out my site...No I didnt write it...a friend sent that article to me and I couldn't resist putting it up...anyone that has lived in Tulsa can relate to it. I know what you mean about people going nuts at the slightest change of weather...its ridiculious...I usually find it laughable...If I'm not in a hurry that is:)

That article appeared on one of my college discussion boards yesterday asking the question:Do you think the pro-choice movement has been hurt because women have been afraid to admit they had an abortion?
I had a field day with this question. THis is such a strong issue for me. My cousin/best friend has a 3 month old and we were just discussing the other day how we couldnt imagine life without her. Life is such a precious gift, I dont know why anyone would feel so strongly about getting rid of it...no matter what the situation was.

ANyways I could go on forever but that would be a little ridiculious...Little Nicholas is getting so big!! It's so crazy how fast they change in such a short period of time.

You are truly blessed.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wonderful post!
I agree with Shanygne - Many women who have had abortions have deep down pain that they do not recognize, so it turns to anger at everyone who opposes their decision. My mom had an abortion when she was 19. She and my dad both had intense pain and sadness, and even depression, for YEARS that they could not figure out. They were also having all kinds of marital problems and did not understand the root of it. One day in church, when I was about 9 years old, there was a guest speaker who talked about healing and forgiveness from God after an abortion. My mom broke down and immediately knew that was what had been wrong all those years. She began a going to a support group called Conquerers for post-abortive women through a local crisis pregnancy center. She found healing through God (ultimately) and the steps in the program. My mom shared everything she learned each day with my dad, who also found forgiveness and healing, and he then started a support group for men involved in abortion decisions. My mom eventually became the Director of Conquerers and was able to help many women find healing. Because of this experience and the open-ness of my parents throughout the process, myself and my siblings all have a heart for everything pro-life. I see the anger in people who are pro-choice and it makes me so mad...until I realize they are just blind to the facts. The TRUE healing can only be found in Christ - so that's the first battle that has to be won in their hearts.
~Molly
xanga.com/mulmol

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Beth, for a wonderful article.

My husband & I are expecting our first little one (I am 11 weeks along). Even NOW, so early, when I haven't even begun SHOWING yet, I can't imagine living without the Baby in my every though, decision, prayer; knowing that in 7 months my Life will radically change for the better...

God bless you, and thank you for CHOOSING Life!

-Kali Shanti Park
HA Alumni 00

Unknown said...

Beth, I am so proud of you and the way you can articulate what is in your heart...so beautifully stated. Please look into having that published somewhere. You have such beautiful children...I am so blessed to call them my grandchildren!

jacki said...

this make my heart ache.