Monday, October 09, 2006

Bubba Rage


David
Originally uploaded by °Beth.
We were driving to church. Matthew Ward was singing, How Great Thou Art. The mood was, in hindsight, ironically tranquil.

Just as we were turning into a gas station, Bubba, in a well worn red pickup, was pulling out. Apparently he missed the page in the Driver’s Ed manual about stopping and looking both ways before pulling out into oncoming traffic—he came ALARMINGLY close to hitting us.

Instead of recognizing his mistake and taking responsibility, he . . . let’s see, how do you say it in a family friendly blog . . . he told David in no uncertain terms, YOU’RE NUMBER ONE!” (Picture two hands, violent shaking, beet red face . . . )

Maybe it’s just me. I take such communication as signals—clues if you will: Take the blame, tell him you’re so sorry . . . and if that doesn’t work, drive away FAST!

Just when I was opening my mouth to congratulate David on handling the situation with maturity, grace and a great deal of self-control, David opened his door and called back to Bubba, “Is there a problem? Are you gonna be alright there, Big Daddy?”

Bubba responded by reving his engine a gazillion times, peeling out, circling around the station, burning a year’s worth of rubber off his tires and glaring at David who was now outside the van pumping gas.

While the kids in the back we’re questioning me as to what was going on, I was searching for a phone to dial 911—just in case.

At this point, David changed his MO and totally ignored the guy. Bubba and I made eye contact. Maybe he recognized I was close to calling for backup. Or maybe he was just starting to realize what an idiot he was being. Thankfully he peeled out of the station one last time and went on his way.

David finished filling up and got back in the van. He was waiting for the inevitable, “Was that really worth it” speech. I’ve recited that speech a million times . . . pretty sure David has it memorized. So instead I smiled.

Incredulous, he asked, “What’s so funny?”

Realizing I have now stumbled onto what is far more effective than worn out speeches, I replied, “Thank you for a great post!”

P.S. Just incase you were wondering, this was posted with permission of all parties involved . . . well, except for Bubba.

11 comments:

michelle said...

Too funny! I had such a great visual of all parties involved and the play-by-play of the ordeal.

You and David are such a great match!

Anonymous said...

That is SO funny... I laughed so hard! It's good to know that our leaders are people too... and deal with the same things we do! Well... I already knew that... but this is just another example of it! = )

Kristen Lomasney (HA alumni)

Shanygne said...

That's hilarious! When something funny or strange happens in our home, Kevin usually says something like, "There, honey, you have a new post!!"

Lisa H said...

Great story! I'm sure it was a little scary, though!

I can just picture David, cool as a cucumber!

PS-Sam has my "was it really worth it" speech memorized too! :)

Anonymous said...

I cringe when things like this happen because I know there will be a manly reation and I always hear the speech begin to play in my head. My David usually laughs about it all as I fear for my life. So glad it was you this time and not us :)

Michelle said...

That is hilarious!!
He better be careful...Texas Bubba's fight dirty and Dave's not that big of a guy...maybe someone should listen to his own "USE GOOD JUDGEMENT" speech hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't imagine Dave being confrontational. : ) Can't wait to see you guys on Friday!!! I think we're going to leave around noon. We'll call you when we're on our way.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing out loud beth. This is too funny and SO Texas, isn't it? I'm just glad Bubba didn't have a shot gun:-)

Leah said...

I had a similar moment a few months ago when we encountered our own version of Bubba, waving fingers and all. He proceeded to follow us around our friend's neighborhood...(several laps as we weren't quite convinced we were being stalked)... to the house...parked... and then I think we were both calling the police. Or maybe he was calling his posse, but after seeing our fairly large small group men (military. :)) greet him in the front yard he left. Not our best moment in church leadership.

AuntieStina said...

Great post! I'm going to remember that for the next time my kids or my husband does something...um... *INTERESTING*

:-)

Unknown said...

You are such a great communicator of what goes on in your lives...I love it.