Monday, September 25, 2006

Glimpses Of God In Hazel And Blue


Ashley, Cole and Jonathan
Originally uploaded by °Beth.
I was in Uzbekistan. My friends and I were seated on the floor at a low table enjoying a traditional Uzbek meal with a Muslim family. The atmosphere was warm and inviting; the food was amazing.

As we sat and talked, our conversation drifted toward the meanings of our names. After learning the name “Beth” means “House of God”, our sweet hostess looked at me intently and said, “I understand why that is your name. I can see Him in your eyes.” That is the single greatest compliment I have ever received.

Speaking of names, maybe you’ve noticed the change in mine. There are a few reasons . . .

1) If you google “hasz blahs” it questions whether or not you really meant to type “hezbolah”—yikes!

2) Though I have always thought of “blah, blah, blah” to mean something like “talk, talk, talk”, my husband thinks of it more like “bummer, bummer, bummer”, “boring, boring, boring”, or worse yet, “stupid, stupid, stupid”—oh great!

3) I have been told in this day and age, one should not be so liberal with personal information—probably true.

Not wanting a familiar association with the likes of terrorists, depression , boredom, stupidity or danger . . . I decided it was time for something new.

Hazel and Blue are the colors of my kids’ eyes. I love their beautiful eyes; I see God there. When you join me here, hopefully you’ll see glimpses too.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

thats cute!
I like the change.
I think eyes are the most beautiful thing on a person.
you can tell a lot about a person by what you see in their eyes.
I always wanted hazel or blue eyes but I'm just a "brown eyed girl" :)
I hope your day is blessed.

michelle said...

Your children are beautiful. I like the new name too. I tend to agree with David on the blah association however I think your blog has been insightful, clever, and fun.

By the way, I was hoping for the new furniture for the sanctuary too or at least an after service restaurant brunch. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have seen nothing but glimpses of God in you since day one, not only in this blog, but all along the way. As I've said many times, your children will rise up and call you blessed. Love to you always BETH!

Anonymous said...

Side comment: I'm sitting here with Alicia. She started her new job today and just mentioned that she missed Dave. Work went well, but she said, "There's nothing like working for Dave". Always nice to hear what a great guy your husband it...

Shanygne said...

I thought that might be the insight behind the new name...so smart, aren't I???

And, I too, see God in your eyes...and who wouldn't see Him in your kids??

Anonymous said...

You are so eloquent. Love the new name.

Lisa H said...

Hi Beth,
I like the name, and the meaning for it! Very nice. Hope you're having a great day!

michelle said...

I would never censor your comments. I look forward to them.

I hope you are able to get some decent sleep!

jacki said...

being confused with hezbolah, yeah, that is bad